All The World May Be a Stage, But We Can't All Be the Best of Actors

That You Would Love Yourself

My mother must have asked a thousand questions when I brought James inside. Embarassed by her antics, I quickly took him to my bedroom. I told him to make himself comfortable, though I didn't know if he could. He sat on my bed and just stared at the dark blue wall. Usually, one may look around and try and take in their surroundings, but James did not. He simply sat and kept his cold eyes straight ahead of him. He did not look in the least bit comfortable with his arms crossed, legs pressed together in a bizarre manner.

"You okay?"

He did not say anything but continued staring. I waved a hand in front of his face and his head snapped back to look at me. How I ever thought his eyes could be less than cold, I'll never know. I averted my gaze and began removing my script from my bag. He watched with almost angry eyes.

"Ready?" I asked, a little hestitantly. I wasn't sure what his reaction would be.

He shrugged and started reading off the paper monotonously, "It is so; the Count Claudio shall marry the daughter of Lenato."

I smiled at him and acted my part out, using my deepest voice, "Yea my lord; but I can cross it."

He furrowed his brow and slowly read the next line, still in monotone, "Any bar, any cross, any impediment will be medicinable to me: I am sick in displeasure to him, and whatsoever comes athwart his affection ranges evenly with mine. How canst thou cross this marriage?"

I came back in, "Not honestly, my lord; but so covertly that no dishonesty shall appear in me."

He stopped, "How do I act?"

I looked at him, a little shocked he actually wanted to act. I smiled a little, happy with his efforts and said, "Watch me a little bit. You'll get the hang of it. Just act how you really would if you were in this situation."

He nodded and I carried on, doing the entire script alone, to show him how he should be doing it. He looked a little nervous, but with hardly any effort, I got him to start on his own.

By the end of the script, he was acting like a normal person. I had never seen him act this way before. He was smiling and even laughing a little now and then.

"Hey, um, thanks for, helping me," he said in a small voice. I smiled and nodded.

"This was really all out of nowhere? Why do you want to do so well?"

He made a face and I thought he was going to yell but he just said, "I have to pass this class."

I knew I shouldn't push it further, so I didn't, and I was so relieved to be excused to go to the door. Thankfully, my mom had ordered pizza. I looked at her and I could tell she wanted to ask a million questions, but she didn't. James tagged along behind me as we walked to the dining room table and sat down.

My mother got us all glasses of soda and paper plates. Mable was already in her chair, begging for her pizza. My mother sat a plate in front of James, but he didn't budge. I took two slices from the box and set them on his plate, realizing he must be shy about eating our food. He practically devoured the pizza, and then stared at his plate. He ate two slices in the time it took me to eat half a slice.

"So, James, what do your parents do?" my mother asked. I shot her a glare, but she waved me off and stared at him, expectantly.

"My mom's a car salesclerk and my dad works in mechanics. They both work at Arnold Quigley, you know that car dealership up the road."

She nodded, "Those are interesting lines of work."

He nodded and stared at his empty plate. I grabbed another two slices of pizza from the box and set them in front of him. He looked up at me, his ice blue eyes softening, and looked back down at the plate, shaking his head.

"I can't eat all of your food..."

"Nonsense!" my mother said, "You keep eating!"

He smiled at her and continued eating, just as quickly as before. I stared at him concernedly. Something told me he should not eat that fast if he were fed properly. Maybe that's why he was so thin...

"Wort tie izzit?" he asked, mouth full. I snapped out of my daze and looked at the clock.

"Almost six."

His eyes bulged, "I have to go!"

"Why?" I asked.

"Please stay," my mother said, "I'll call your parents--"

"No I have to go to work. I can't miss it." He got up and dashed out the door, but not before thanking us for the meal and hospitality. My mother and I welcomed him back at any time, but I wasn't sure he heard us, because he was out the door.

"He seems like a friendly boy," my mother said, but made a face, "I just don't understand why he does that to his face!"

"The piercings?" I asked her.

She nodded and I shrugged.

"They don't matter much. He's still a person."

"You like him," my mom said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes at her. Typical mom.

"No I don't."

"Whatever," she said, playfully.

"Matt-yoo!" I heard Mable screech. I cringed, but walked to her anyway. The blonde beast was a mess of pizza sauce and cheese.

"What is it?" I asked, careful not to get too close. She was known to throw her food.

"James has pretty eyes."

I smiled at her and ruffled her blonde hair, "That he does."

Then I realized, maybe my mom was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title from Shakespeare's King Henry VIII said by Queen Katherine.

I would love you if you joined my [url]http://www.mibba.com/forums/topic/86765/]slash writing contest[/url].

Winner gets a oneshot story written by me on any topic they want. It can be 6+ pages on word.

I know it's not as good as promised,
but it was a quick update.
I hope you enjoyed a little.

I'ma do a short Christmas-inspired story soon. Maybe 5 chapters or so. Watch out for it. <3