Slightly Bruised and a Little Bit Used

Break/Why

I groaned inwardly, seeing Shaant walk into the Starbucks where I now worked.

He gave a slight smile upon seeing me and approached the counter.

“I got this one, Riley. It’s your break,” a co-worker informed me, nodding towards Shaant. I sighed in relief before realizing that I had nowhere to spend my fifteen minute break besides, well, here.

I sat at a small table as he ordered. I used all my special mental powers to urge him to either leave or sit at another table.

Then again, I don’t have special mental powers, so of course he pulled up the seat across from me.

“Hey,” he greeted, sipping his drink.

“Hey,” I replied, concentrating on my hands. We fell awkwardly silent.

I mean, what do you say to your fuck buddy?

I like…’hanging out’…with you?

Something like that.

And why does he insist on taking things outside the bedroom? He knows this means nothing, so why does he try to-

“Can I ask you something?” he asked, seemingly out of nowhere.

“What?” I breathed.

“Why do you do this with me…if you’re with him?” I froze for a few seconds.

“I broke up with him,” I replied simply.

“I thought so,” he nodded, not saying anything more for a few minutes. Then he just had to break the perfect silence. “Why-”

“I have to get back to work,” I strategically interrupted, even though I still had about six minutes of my break left. I stood up, and he didn’t move.

“Okay,” was all he said, taking another sip of his coffee. For some reason, it got on my nerves.

He sat there for two hours.

Two fucking hours until my shift ended.

I took off my green apron and tried to sneak out unnoticed as he stared out the window.

“Riley. Let me drive you home,” he said, appearing and placing a large hand on my shoulder as I was about to reach for the door handle. I sighed in defeat, following him to his car.

“You waited just to drive me home?” I asked dully, as he pulled into the street.

“It’s the least I can do. You don’t let me do much else,” he said, a hard edge to his tone.

“I don’t want a whole lot from you,” I pointed out arrogantly. He frowned, keeping his eyes set on the road.

“I was under the impression you did.”

“You must have the wrong impression on top of you,” I replied.

He rolled his eyes before changing the subject.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?