Slightly Bruised and a Little Bit Used

Quiet/Tears

I drove home, only after being caught by possibly every single red light I passed.

I swore under my breath, as another red light stopped me, a block away from the apartment.

I shoved my key in the lock five minutes later and sighed in relief at finally being home after my miserable hate-filled day.

“Charli?” I called out. It was oddly quiet. Usually, she would be watching one of her tv shows at this time. That or blasting music and singing into the remote control.

I saw the light coming from the bottom of the bathroom door as I walked past to my room. I changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt, and flopped down onto the living room couch. I watched the rest of The Office rerun that was playing and sighed impatiently when Charli still hadn’t come out.

I knocked on the bathroom door.

“Charli!” I shouted in annoyance. “You’ve been in there for like twenty minutes! You better be dying or something, because I really have to go!”

Still no answer. I twisted the doorknob and continued to knock when it didn’t open.

“Charli?” I asked worriedly. “Are you okay?” Nothing. “You’re scaring me, say something!” I heard shallow gasps and sniffles, and was only very slightly relieved that she was making noise, so at least she was alive. “Charli, please?”

There was a click as she unlocked the door. I pushed it open slowly. Charli was sitting on the closed toilet seat, wiping her eyes, from which tears were freely flowing.

“What’s wrong?” I asked in alarm.

“Jeff…he’s not…where…is he here?” she choked out in gasping sobs, hugging herself.

“No, he’s at Tom’s. Why- what’s going on?” I asked, trying not to sound demanding.

“Ri,” she said, grabbing onto my arm. “You can’t tell him…”

“Tell him what?” I asked calmly, handing her a Kleenex. I kept my composure, even though I was close to flipping out inside as a million possibilities flew through my mind.

“Riley, I’m pregnant.”

That was when I noticed the two positive pregnancy tests off to the side.

I stared blankly in speechless shock as she broke out in fresh tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
dundundun.....next one will be out by Sunday, cuz then I start classes again Monday. I have mixed feelings about that....
Comments?