Slightly Bruised and a Little Bit Used

Talk/Negative

Charli, it’s going to be okay,” I reassured. Once I had managed to calm Charli down and she stopped crying, we were seated at the kitchen table, drinking the hot chocolate that I had made us. She took another tissue from the half-used Kleenex box in front of her.

“Ri, what am I going to do?” she asked me worriedly, chewing on her lip.

“You have to tell Jeff,” I stated bluntly. She stared down into her mug of hot chocolate.

“I’m scared to,” she whispered.

“I know,” I replied. “But it’s Jeff. He’ll understand,” I insisted.

“But what if he doesn’t want me to keep it?” she asked nervously, holding her hands to her stomach. “Or what if-”

“Charli. Calm down.” I wondered how I could be so calm. Was it because it was her and not me? Or because I knew she would be ten times a better mom than I would be?

I spent the next few hours convincing her to tell Jeff the second he got home, because I really had no idea what else I could do.

I was definitely the wrong person for this.

“I’m home!” Jeff shouted loudly, as he entered the apartment.

Charli shot me a fearful look. I gave her a half smile and nodded in encouragement as Jeff entered the room. She stood up to greet him and he pecked her on the lips, smiling.

“Jeff, we …we have to talk,” she whispered. I saw his face fall a little in confusion.

“Okay,” he said uncertainly, as she led him to their bedroom.

Once their door was closed, I headed for the bathroom, a dangerous thought infiltrating my mind.

Could I be pregnant, too?

I mean, I made sure Shaant always used a condom, but still…

I felt sick just thinking about it.

Or maybe I was feeling nauseous for a different reason?

I rushed into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door behind me. My heart was pounding erratically in my ears. Thankfully, I found an extra test in the plastic bag Charli had brought from the drug store.

Five minutes later, I was holding that damn stick that could possibly change my life, waiting for it to change colors.

I let out a sigh of relief as it came up negative.

Maybe it was a sign that I should stop while I was ahead.