Slightly Bruised and a Little Bit Used

Answers/Impression

I walked into Starbucks, where Jeff had told me Riley now worked.

She didn’t look so happy to see me, but I gave her a slight smile anyway and approached the counter.

To my disappointment, her co-worker took my order and Riley disappeared into the back.
I noticed her sitting at a small table alone after picking up my coffee and headed over. She must be on break.

“Hey,” I greeted, pulling up the seat across from her and taking a sip of my drink.

“Hey,” she replied, studying her nails intently. We fell awkwardly silent.

I gathered the courage to ask her about what had been bothering me these past few weeks.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked, trying to sound casual.

“What?” she murmured.

“Why do you do this with me…if you’re with him?” I saw her tense up as she froze for a few seconds.

“I broke up with him,” she answered simply, recovering quickly.

“I thought so,” I said, nodding. But I had another question. “Why-”

“I have to get back to work,” she strategically interrupted.

“Okay,” I said, taking another sip of my coffee. She left the table, but I stayed sitting.
I sat there for two hours.

I didn’t think I’d have to wait this long, but I was finally getting some answers, and I wasn’t about to let her get away so easily. I knew her game by now.

The second anything got too personal, she disappeared.

I watched from the corner of my eyes as she took off her apron and tried to sneak out unnoticed.

I was up and behind her in seconds.

“Riley. Let me drive you home,” I offered, placing a hand on her shoulder. She sighed, but followed me to my car.

“You waited just to drive me home?” she asked dully, as I pulled into the street.

“It’s the least I can do. You don’t let me do much else,” I said, not meaning to sound bitter.

“I don’t want a whole lot from you,” she stated conceitedly. I frowned, but kept my eyes set on the road.

That one stung, but of course I couldn’t let it show.

“I was under the impression you did,” I said.

“You must have the wrong impression on top of you,” she replied smartly.

I rolled my eyes.

Typical Riley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks: revenge_is_mine, Tobifangurl95, addicted to words, Annieface, Angela Marie, Jersey's Colder, leedz, & hockeyxgirlsxrock.