Remembrance Day

Respect and Honor

I stood on the stage, facing two brave, heroic men. They stood in their old uniforms, tall and proud despite the years that had wrinkled their skin and weakened them. They were old men now, but a soldier still existed inside them both.

My family was solemn as our national anthem played during the moment of silence. We kind of stole this holiday from Canada, but I believe it is very important. These men risked their lives for us. They deserve one day a year to acknowledge them; at the very least.

In my mind’s eye, I visualized all those men going to war. The families worrying about when their father or brother or whomever was out there would return. If they would return. It must be hell, just waiting.

Everything was so eerily silent. Even the birds made no noise. The anthem stopped, yet everyone still remained quiet. Leaves fluttered around the ground as a wind blew, ruffling my hair.

“Thank you all. I would also like to thank Mr. Boyd and Mr. Lumly for joining us today. Let’s give them a round of applause, shall we?” the announcer spoke into the microphone to the crowd of thousands. Her voice was still as solemn as when she started. I understand this is a serious holiday, but perhaps she could make it sound a bit more like she was not delivering a eulogy.

The crowd lightly clapped their hands together respectively. Both men had sad eyes as they bowed their heads to us. They turned to exit the stage.

“This is wrong,” I mumbled to myself. We should be showing them proper respect, not just tossing them aside like old news. We would not live in the world we do today if it were not for these men.

“Wait,” I called out to them. The crowd stopped clapping and murmurs erupted.

The veteran’s turned towards me curiously, but there was an expectancy and happiness in their eyes that I could not place. I stepped out of line towards them. I could feel my father’s eyes on me and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the announcer glaring at me lightly for interrupting her plans but I did not care. This had to be corrected.

“Please do not bow to us, for it is us that should be bowing to you. It is not enough for what you men have sacrificed, but it is all I have to offer,” I told them, my tone respectful. In reality, I could do much more, and I would, after the ceremony.

I placed my right leg behind my left and bent my knees, bowing my head and closing my eyes. I hope they do not take offense by misreading my intentions. I heard the gasps of surprise from the crowd but ignored them. I stood upright, my face unusually somber and serious.

“I thank you for all you have given to this country,” I said, a small smile tainting my lips. Their wrinkled faces broke out into smiles.

“Thank you, young man,” Mr. Lumly said. The respect in his own voice made my smile grow. The fact that this incredible man respects a child like me makes me proud.

Mr. Boyd stepped forward, a look of determination of his face. He placed his hand on the side of his forehead and saluted me. My face lite up. I beamed at him as I raised my own hand. He nodded his head with a proud smile and lowered his hand. I copied his action.

He placed his weathered hand on my thin shoulder. “I would be honored to bow to a boy, no, man like you. You’ll make a great leader, son,” he told me. He winked at me as I gaped at him. He probably had no idea how much those words meant to me. That this man, who was sent off to war when he was just a boy like me, would be willing to have me as a leader.

I looked behind me at my father, who wore a proud smile with an unmistakable tear in his eye.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this because I believe people today do not have enough respect for veterans and soldiers.
I was at my Remembrance Day assembly today and I was shocked by how many people were texting, chatting with their friends or just staring off into space boredly. Now, I would understand that if it wasn't interesting, but it was amazing. The drama club did a skit and the audio-visual people made a video of pictures with great music.
The fact is people just didn't pay attention because they don't care about the people that fight for our countries. People have risked their lives and still risk their lives to give us freedom.
I agree that most wars are uncalled for and stupid, but does it not mean something that they care about total strangers, their neighbors, enough to leave their family and friends to go off someplace they have probably never even heard of before? Only to be attacked and live in fear and horrible conditions.
Please just think about it and give them the respect they deserve.
Thank you for reading my story and rant.

"Lest We Forget!"