‹ Prequel: How To Hold On
Sequel: Moving On

All Grown Up

Settle For A Slowdown

Chapter 2

“Get out of my way right now,” She dropped her suitcase at her feet.

“But wait!” Paula yelled.

“No I’m done waiting, when I come back I want you out of this apartment,” Jo yelled, as she pushed her aside.

“But, where are you going to go?” Paula stood in the door way as she watched Jo wheel her suitcase into the hall, and come back into the apartment for her stuff.

“What do you care? I told you I don’t want her in the house. I don’t want to hear about her. And you brought her here, she got drunk and puked all over.” Jo got her last suitcase, grabbed her keys and put her jacket on. She was slowly calming down.

“But I cleaned it up,” Paula pleaded. Jo pressed the button calling the elevator.

“No it’s not about that, it’s about lack of respect. I fricking did everything around here, held your hand when you cried, allowed strange guys to come into the apartment, and the one rule I have you break it like it means nothing. She’s garbage. And you can go hang with her. I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. I want you out. I found this apartment and I’m not giving it up.” The elevator door opened up and she went inside.

When the doors closed the last thing she saw was Paula crying. She’s stopped caring, this wasn’t something she was going to put up with. One rule and that rule was broken. Maybe she did over react, but she knew she needed time away from Windsor. What better way then a road trip.

Putting everything into the car she took a deep breath. It wasn’t quite summer yet, it was getting there slowly. Getting into her car, she rolled down her windows and hooked up her I-pod it was going to be a long drive, but to get away from the place she hated the most right now it was worth it.

Putting the car in drive she pulled out of the parking lot and made her way to the 401. Just as she was about to get on the 401 her phone rang. She looked at it. Sammy.

“Hey, babes” Jo was the only one allowed to call Sam babes.

“Hey,” Sam said excited.

“So, how did it go?” Jo asked as she flipped someone off that cut her off.

“It was amazing. You were right they did break up. So I owe you 100$. I’ll send you a check.” Sam played with the pen in her hand as she tapped her notepad.

“Keep it for a while,” Jo said knowing in four short hours she was going to pick the money up herself. It was only 400 km from Windsor to Toronto, and the way Jo drove she would be there in 3. “Hey can I call you back in like 4 hours, I have this documentary to watch. Apparently it teaches you how to perform psychological test on your patients, it’s pretty cool.”

“Ugh, that sounds boring,” Sam said. “But yeah I have to write this article it’s a killer.”

“Alright laters.” Before Sam could as Jo about her coming to Toronto or going somewhere for the concert of A7X Jo hung up the phone. Knowing Jo right now she had a box of cereal next to her, a notebook, a pen and everyone out of her house.

A little while later, and 10 attempts later, the phone called. Sam picked it up without looking.

“Hello?”

“Hey babe,” The voice was smooth too smooth.

“Um, who’s this?” Sam asked raising an eyebrow, since she didn’t know who it was and it didn’t sound like Jo, she was going to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

“Brian.” The voice sounded innocent.

“Do I know you?” Sam asked. Really she could only think of one person yet, the thought flew out of her mind it would be ridiculous if it was him calling.

“Not really but I’d like to know you.”

“Buddy this is creepy. Calling someone in the middle of the night telling them you want to know them is a lot creepy. Besides I don’t think I even know you. So whatever fucked up idea you have in your head about us knowing each other you can knock it out. I recommend a bottle of J.D. or some serious psychological help. I actually know someone who can help I can give you their number,” Sam said and waited for the person on the other end to say something. When nothing came she hung up the phone.

Again she would have to change her number. Starting another draft she realized her neck was sore, to tense. What she wouldn’t give for a long walk along the Detroit River with a hot smoothie in hand.

The phone rang again. “Hello?” Sam said.

“Hey, sorry about earlier.” This voice sounded familiar very familiar.

“Matt?” Sam asked. Surprised, anyone would recognize the voice.

“Yeah, It was Brian calling earlier, he thought it would be nice to invite you to the concert, and play a little prank.” Sam’s phone slid out of her hand. So it had been Mr. Synister Gates himself calling.

She picked up the phone that had landed under the desk, when she stood up her head collided with the desk. “DAMN IT!”

“You ok?” Matt asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just hit my head.” Sam rubbed the spot being sure she would get a bruise. “So what can I help you with?”

“Well just wanted to let you know our last concert in Toronto is tomorrow night. So since you work we figured you’d come to that one,” He said. Sam heard in the background, a pleaseeeeeee.

“Do you have a dog?” Sam asked.

Matt gave a laugh. “No that’s Brian.”

“Oh so you do have a dog, tell him to fetch.” Sam giggled and Matt let out a full laugh. “Well I got to see if I can make it, if not I’m sure I’ll come to your next one.”

“Alright.”

“Have a good night,.” Sam said In the background Brian was asking what Sam had said.

“You too. Nothing dude she just realized what you are a lot sooner then any other girl.” That was the last thing Sam heard before the phone disconnected. But it rang again.

“Four hours already?” Sam asked as she heard Jo curse on the phone.

“Yeah. Fuck you too.” Jo yelled into Sam’s ear.

“What did I do wrong?” Sam asked.

“Nothing,” Jo answered, getting annoyed at the fact that the second last spot available in the parking lot of Sam’s building was taken.

“Are you driving?” Sam asked.

“Yeah,” Jo said, parking the car. She didn’t bother getting all her stuff. Those would come later. She just grabbed the overnight bag and her laptop.

“Where you going?” Sam asked curious. Did Jo get a lover Sam knew nothing about.

“Errands,” Jo answered as she entered the building. The door man noticed her and was about to say something but she shushed him, and he smiled. He went to the elevator and pressed the button.

“At this time?” Sam wasn’t really convinced.

“What are you trying to say?” Jo asked.

“Nothing it’s just that there is nothing to do in Windsor at 2 in the morning.” Sam laughed.

“You know I can find anything to do at any time of night or day.” Jo entered the elevator and pushed the button to Sam’s floor.

“True enough. So you’re not going to believe what just happened.” Sam twirled in the chair.

“You’re gonna make me guess.” Jo stated matter of fact.

“No, I’ll tell you,” Sam said, but before she could continue she heard a knock on the door. “Hang on a second who could it be?”

“At 2 in the morning?” Jo asked. Sam opened the door and froze, “None other then me.” Sam jumped into Jo’s arms they haven’t seen each other since Christmas break. It was awesome.

“You’re a bitch,” Sam said as she let Jo enter the apartment.

“Thank you very much,” Jo said. “So what’s this news,” Jo threw down her bag and sat on the couch.

“We’re going to a concert,” Sam said.

“Cool, when, who, what time?” Jo asked not very excited.

“Not just cool, you dork, tomorrow, A7X, I’m not sure the time.” Sam couldn’t hear anything besides the excited scream Jo let out. Then she noticed Jo had not heard what Sam had said. She was glued to the screen.

An rerun of today’s episode of Oprah was playing, and what Oprah was holding in her hands was Jo’s most prized possession. Her book.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments anyone?
XOXO
I.S.