‹ Prequel: How To Hold On
Sequel: Moving On

All Grown Up

Gliter In The Air

Chapter 30

Zacky watched as the nurse excused herself and left the room. He didn’t move from next to the door. He looked at Jo and all he could think was the last time he had seen her with her eyes open alert.

“You must be Zacky,” Jo said looking at him with her head to the side. His eyes widened, “No I don’t remember, you’re just he last guy I have no met, and I’ve been waiting to meet you ever since I woke up.”

He walked into the room, tears filling his eyes; Jo opened her arms knowing he needed a hug, he went into her arms and wrapped them around her squeezing her tight. She wrapped her arms around him, feeling a twinge in the middle of her chest.

He pulled away and she looked into his eyes, there was sadness and hope in them. It made her realize everything was going to be ok. “I’ve missed you,” Zacky said sitting on the chair next to the bed.

“For some reason I missed your voice,” Jo said realizing it sounded familiar.

“Really?” He said shyly.

“Yeah, the nurses were talking when I woke up, wondering when you would be coming next, so when I talked to them, they sort of jumped and looked like they had seen a ghost. I asked them who you were and they told me, they don’t know what we were when I was awake but besides my best friend Sam you came to see me more often then the other guys. So I’ve been sitting here, and I think I was waiting for you,” Jo said. He just held her hand. His eyes clouded, he was gone in the past.

He was about to start to speak, “ No, I don’t want you to tell me anything about before. I talked to the doctors they think I’m blocking it out on purpose. I want a fresh start with everyone. So let’s start. I’m Joana nice to meet you,” Jo said shoving her right hand at him.

He didn’t know what to do, but he took her hand, “I’m Zackary James Baker, but everyone calls me Zacky.” He smiled at her and she smiled back, it wasn’t long before they both started laughing.

“Well, now it gets awkward,” Jo said.

“It doesn’t have to be,” Zacky said.

“Ok, what do you do?” Jo asked.

“I play in a band. I’m rhythm guitar,” he said feeling like a fresh start was what he needed.

“That’s really cool, Sam said something about the band but she didn’t go into detail,” Jo said fidgeting with her hair.

“It’s ok,” Zacky said casually trying not to give anything more then was needed away. “Jo.”

“Yes?” Jo asked.

“Is it ok if I sleep next to you?” He asked, the toll of these past four months catching up with him. He was tired of running around. Of drinking every night, he wanted to sleep. She nodded at him and moved to the side. He lay down next to her with his head on her pillow, their hands touching.

“Why do I feel like we’re best friends?” Jo asked as he closed his eyes.

“We were,” Zacky said.

“What happened?” Jo asked curiosity getting the better of her.

“Do you really want to know?” Zacky asked. Jo nodded swallowing became very hard to do. “I fell for you,” he said looking into her eyes.

“Zacky,” Jo said.

“Yes?” Zacky asked.

“I’m sorry,” Jo whispered.

“Why are you sorry?” Zacky opened his eyes wider.

“Because I left before I feel like something was going to happen, something that I needed to happen. I wish I did remember that,” Jo said looking up at the ceiling.

“Maybe something did happen,” Zacky said, he wanted to tell her everything but this meant that she would of never wanted him to lie next to her, he would lose what he could gain, what he lost that morning.

“Why do you sound so sad when you say that?” Jo turned to her side, it took her a couple of tries and his help to do it, they were laying on they sides facing each other.

“Jo, there’s a reason you don’t remember,” Zacky said taking a deep breath. He closed his eyes. Then he felt a warm breath on his cheek, he opened his eyes and Jo was face to face with him, he looked into the brown eyes and saw a glimpse of the Jo he used to know.

“I want to remember you,” Jo said as she moved closer and their lips touched. He closed his eyes, and the touch made his whole body shiver, it sent a spark of life through him. Jo pulled away from him.

“Do you remember?” Zacky asked.

“No,” Jo whispered and yawned.

“I should leave, you should get some sleep,” Zacky said. “Too many things happening in one day.”

He sat up on the bed but she held his hand. He turned and looked at her, “Promise me one thing,” Jo said. He nodded, “Don’t let me hurt you.”

He couldn’t think of anything to say. He only nodded, stood up, kissed her cheek and left the room. She looked out the window and at the flower in the vase, a tear escaped her eyes. She had lied, not knowing what made her lie but she had lied.

Zacky met up with everyone in the waiting room. “Hey,” he said sitting on the couch in there.

“What’s up?” Sam asked, Brian was snoring next to her, they were all tired.

“Nothing, she was tired so I let her sleep,” Zacky said.

“I’m thinking we postpone the concerts for a while,” Jimmy said from the corner he was in deep thought.

“How are we going to do that?” Johnny asked, it seemed that no one had the heart to continue the tour.

“I can say, I can’t sing anymore, I need a break,” Matt said. It was the perfect cover.

“Are you sure?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, we all need a break,” Jimmy said, he stood up. “I called Vlad he said we can crash there, as long as we do our own laundry, I guess he never got over the dirty socks under the couch.”

“Dude, that was all you, I wouldn’t forgive you for that,” Johnny said as he gathered his stuff, “Let’s go say bye to Jo before she really falls asleep.”

They left the room; Matt was staring at the TV. “How did she sound?” Sam asked.

“You’ve talked to her,” Zacky said.

“Yeah, but how did she sound to you?”

“Happy,” Zacky said realizing that he had never seen Jo completely happy unless she was on a bike, or making fun of someone. Telling a joke, or pointing something funny out that really wasn’t so funny.

“That’s good,” Matt said. “She deserves it.”

Sam looked at Matt then at Zacky they were both staring at the screen, both broken in different ways, both sorry for many things, both unable to move on, unless the girl in the bed in the other room lets them move on.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's all folks.
This is the ending to All Grown up.
<3