‹ Prequel: How To Hold On
Sequel: Moving On

All Grown Up

You And I Both

A month Later

It had been a month since Sam and Jo had met the band, Jo had decided to stay at least another month before going back to school, her and Sam even planned a road trip, since Jo had to meet with a producer in New York about her book and Sam had to meet with her boss face to face for the first time.

“Sam?” Jo asked not moving from her spot just popping pieces of chocholate into her mouth.

“Yes, Jo,” Sam did the same, the movie just ended.

“How come we’re not crying?” Jo asked lazily.

“We’re immune?” Sam offered.

“No,” Jo said in disbelief.

“Yes,” Sam said matter of fact.

“That sucks.” Jo nodded as she closed her eyes. The past month had been fun, relaxing. After Sam sent the article in about the book, she got time off. Since they didn’t need her for anything else. About a week ago the editor in chief called Sam for a meeting.

Then Jo’s editor called that they had to meet in New York. It just might prove a lot of fun. The phone rang, Jo stirred before she realized it wasn’t hers. Sam picked it up.

“Hey!” Sam said knowing who it was. Brian calling from the road.

Jo just grunted got off the couch and went to the balcony. Matt had not called her in a while, and she understood but it still didn’t hurt any less. In the past month Brian has seen Sam twice and they weren’t even dating, according to Sam they had no kissed and Matt hadn’t even given her an excuse as to why he couldn’t come see her, not that she asked.

“Hey, babes.” Brian’s voice washed over Sam, they had not talked since last night but it was good to hear his voice.

“What’s up?” Sam asked.

“You know how you told me that you need to go to New York?” Brian reminded Sam of their last conversation.

“Yeah,” Sam remembered.

“You can come with us…” Brian said but Sam cut him off.

“We’re going to be in Detroit tomorrow, and you guys can meet us up and we can go together since we have out next concert in New York it’s our last one of the tour.” Brian took a deep breath, he sounded so excited.

“That’s awesome. I’ll have to ask Jo,” Sam said.

“I can wait,” Brian provided he was not a patient person.

“Right now?” Sam asked.

“Good time as any.”
Sam placed the phone down and went to the door of the balcony, there stood Jo smoking a cigarette. “Since when did you start smoking?” Sam asked.

“Since forever,” Jo said blowing out the air.

“Brian had an idea.” Sam looked down.

“Okay?” Jo said.

“We could go up with them next week to New York, they have a concert in Detroit then they’re driving up, it might take us a couple of days but I thought it might be fun.” Sam was really hoping that Jo would agree and for a second she thought she wasn’t going to agree.

“Ok,” Jo said stabbing out her cigarette.

“Are you sure?” Sam asked.

“Yeah,” Jo smiled when Sam hugged her.

“Do you have to talk to Matt?” Sam asked.

“Nope, I’m thinking I should drive my car so we have what to get back with,” Jo said. That’s when Sam realized the catch, they were going to the band for the benefit of Sam. Yet Jo wouldn’t be there for most of it.

“Ok,” Sam couldn’t disagree, from what she read of the situation Jo liked Matt, but she didn’t want to show it or crowd him, so this was her giving him space. Sam went to pick up the phone. Brian was arguing with Zacky on the other line.

“Dude, no. That’s not the right way to play it. Seriously you’re ruining it, if you want to mock me do it right.” Then Sam heard Matt laugh in the background.

“Hello?” Sam said.

“Oh, hey. What did you guys decide?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, we’re going to come,” Sam said.

Brian saw the look Matt gave him. “Can you hang on a sec?” He told Sam, then turned to Matt.

“What’s going on?” Matt asked.

“I asked the girls to come with us from Detroit to New York.” Matt’s facial expression drew a blank.

“What girls?” Matt asked. Zacky’s attention was added to the conversation.

“Jo and Sam.” Brian said.

“Oh, man that’s gonna be so sick, remember how many shots Sam took that night. I thought she was going to be the first one to pass out. Man, this is gonna be so much fun.” Zachy left the front of the bus to tell the other guys that Sam’s going to be joining them.

“Alright,” Matt said standing up to strech his legs.

“You ok with this?” Brian asked.
“Yeah why not?” Matt asked.

“Well, cause…” Brian didn’t have to finish.

“Because of Val? There’s nothing going on between me and Jo, so everything’s cool,” Matt said as the bus stopped, “I’m going to get something to eat.”

With that Matt left, Brian got back to the phone. “Ok, what’s going on between Jo and Matt?”

Sam took a deep breath then made sure Jo couldn’t hear them “Apparently Matt left without saying goodbye. He just up and left and left her a note. It’s not a big deal but it was pretty cold the way he left, she didn’t say anything I just saw the note he left. I’m sure she’s hurt but since it’s her she knows she has no claims over him, so whatever he decides it’s ok with her.”

“Oh, that’s shitty,” Brian said. He realized that Matt wasn’t ready for a relationship but he did lead Jo on at least for a while. Matt still called Jo once in a while, now all Brian had to do was figure out what exactly was happening with Matt.

Jo’s phone rang, she didn’t have to look at the caller ID to see that it was Matt, “Hello?” She said.

“Hey,” he answered.

“What’s up?” Jo asked, screwing the cap of the water bottle back on.

“Nothing, look I wanted to talk to you about tomorrow…” Matt started to say, but Jo cut him off.

“Don’t worry I’ll stay out of your hair.” Jo placed the water bottle down and braced herself.

“It’s not that,” Matt said.

“Ok, then what is it?” Jo asked, today she didn’t feel like being nice and not saying what was on her mind.

“I just…I mean I don’t want you to think I don’t want you here,” Matt started fumbling around with his words.

“Matt? What do you want?” Jo asked, they had been talking for a while, and talked about everything. His relationship with Val, Jo’s school, tour life. But it seemed that their friendship was just that. Only he hasn’t said it, and she needed him to say it.

“I want to take things slow,” he said, she grabbed the water bottle again, this was good so why did it sound like he wasn’t sure.

“Ok,” Jo whispered.

“Look I’ll talk to you tomorrow, before the concert,” Matt said, all of a sudden rushing off like he always did.

“Ok.” Jo was defeated, she needed to see him.

“I’ll get tickets sent to your apartment tonight,” Matt offered.

“Sounds good,” Jo said.

“Ok Bye,” he said and she clicked off the phone without saying anything else. Sam walked into the kitchen.
“You ok?” Sam asked.

“Yeah,” Jo answered giving her a smile.

“Who was that?” Sam asked taking the water bottle out of Jo’s hand.

“Matt.” Jo walked to the fridge and opened the door.

“What did he say?” Sam asked as Jo handed her a salad and dressing.

“That he’s ok with me going tomorrow. And he’s sending us tickets. Also that he wants to take things slow,” Jo let out a sigh as she started to wash the salad.

“What do you want?’ Sam asked taking out bowls.

“I really like him,” Jo said.

“What’s the problem?” Sam wondered and realized this was the moment of truth.

“He doesn’t like me,” Jo’s voice sounded cold.

“Are you sure?” Sam asked but then Jo looked at her, and Sam realized Jo was really sure. She was always sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it.
XOXO

<3