Boy

Onze

Ryan's mother had been working the entire night, and could barely make it through the door when she came home. Ryan was tucking her in, and as she was doing this, she heard the front door open. She left her mother's room and went to the front hall to find Brandon standing there, breathing heavily, hands shoved in his pockets, and boots covered in mud.

"Brandon, what are you doing here? It's like 6am," she said, walking up to him.

"I need you to come over, okay?" he said quickly.

"But my mom…"

"She'll be fine, okay? I just need you to be with me…I don't know where my grandma is…" Though confused, all Brandon had to do was look at her, and she was mud.

"Okay…just let me get my shoes on…" she said before jogging to her room and grabbing a pair of beat-up nameless gym shoes.

When she returned, Brandon was looking out of the window in their living room. She didn't see what he would want to look for, since there was only another brick wall there.

"Okay," she said, announcing her return.

He quickly turned back around and went to the door.

"Come on."

"What's that smell?" Ryan asked. She'd been sitting on Brandon's couch while he changed, and a strong odor had been bothering her since she came near the trailer.

Brandon emerged from his bedroom, not wearing a shirt, but holding it in his hands. This distracted Ryan from the smell for a few seconds, then she asked again.

"What's that smell? Do you smell that?"

"I don't smell anything," he said, shrugging. The smell seemed to be getting stronger and Ryan stood and started looking around.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from," she said, walking around the small mobile home.

"Sit down, okay? It's nothing." Ryan didn't listen. Instead she left the trailer and went to the back as the smell got stronger and stung her nostrils.

She could hear Brandon exit after her, calling her name, but she continued walking. She got to the freezer propped up against the back of the trailer and flung it open, for the smell was the strongest when she approached it.

At the sight of what was inside the freezer, Ryan stumbled back, covering her mouth in fear she may vomit. It didn't help anything, because she then found herself gripping the side of the freezer and emptying the contents of her stomach on the side of it.

Brandon ran over and held her hair while patting her back. She kept coughing and the vomit kept coming, but the amounts were getting smaller.

"Now, I know this looks bad, but it's not really…I mean it is, but…if you just sit down and talk to me, I can explain."