Boy

Quatorze.

Ryan awoke to screaming. She sat up in the bed she was in and rubbed her eyes. She opened them completely and saw Brandon sitting at the end of the mattress staring at her.

"I'm sorry the people next door woke you up. They've been yelling and screaming at each other all night," he explained.

"When did we get here?" she asked, rubbing her arms. It was extremely cold and she was wearing a tank top.

"You're a heavy sleeper. I had to carry you in and everything. Not that I minded."

The screaming got louder, and they could hear something break. Brandon made a tight fist and clenched his teeth.

"You were so peaceful…and they ruined it for you with their problems." He was turning red.

"It's okay, really. I was gonna wake up sooner or later," she said. He looked at her and calmed down.

"Yeah, I know. It just bothers me a little. I want you to be happy."

"I am happy. And I don't get upset when people wake me up either, so chill out," Ryan said, smiling. He continued to stare at her.

"I love your smile." She blushed and instantly brought her hand to her face. He crawled over to her and removed it.

"Don't cover it," he said, leaning in and kissing her cheek. She bit her lip, which was typical for whenever she was nervous or excited. It was probably both in this situation. He cupped her chin and kissed her lips. Once again, an object hit the wall in the room next to them, making Ryan jump and pull away.

"I need to go over there," Brandon said, seething.

"And do what?"

"I won't do anything rash, I just want to reason with them," he said, reading her mind.

"Do I need to come with you?" she asked, standing to her feet.

"No, babe, it's okay. I'll just ask them to quiet down." Ryan nodded and bit her lip; not from excitement.

Brandon left and closed the door behind him. Ryan paced, then decided to sit back on the bed. She imagined if you went over the mattress with a night light, you'd find many stains with the capability to trigger gag reflexes.

He came back in seven minutes; she'd been counting.

"How did it go?" He sat down behind her and wraps her arms her torso.

"It went fine. They said they would stop. They were actually pretty nice about it."

"Good," she said smiling, and glad that everyone cooperated.

Next door, the couple's names were Harry and Susan. Harry was tall and average, with a belly from drinking too much beer. He was married to a woman named Anne. Susan was Harry's mistress. She was a brunette, with large hips and thighs. She had plump lips and a snappy attitude. She was Anne's opposite. Harry and Susan met at the same hotel, in the same room, every weekend. This time, things didn't go well. Susan wanted Harry to leave Anne, and he wouldn't do it. They fought all night, and she accused him of not loving her.

The night didn't end well.

They both now lay dead, blood pooling on the carpeted floor, eyes glossed over, staring at each other.