Boy

Seize.

Eric sat in the waiting room for what seemed like hours. All he could think about was whether or not Ryan's mother would be alright, and if not, how he would contact Ryan. She had no cell phone, if Brandon did, he didn't know the number. He couldn't locate them, because they were constantly moving.

They were taking forever in the room with her. He was tapping his leg incessantly, something he did when he was nervous.

Eventually, the doctor that was assigned to Ryan's mother came out to him and smiled.

"She's okay, right?" he said, standing and figuring the smile was a good thing. But it quickly faded from the doctor's face as he put his hand on Eric's shoulder and looked him in the eye.

"She's not okay, young man. We tried to revive her, but our efforts were futile. She's passed on. But it's okay, because now, she's in a better place," he said, smiling and nodding.

As of now, the doctor was just a blurred vision to Eric, as were his surroundings. After he heard the words 'passed on', he could no longer see clearly. He started walking away from the man in the white coat, towards the door.

The doctor watched him leave then turned to a nurse.

"I suppose he just needs some time to cool off," he said.

Eric blinked his eyes to stop the tears from flowing down his face. The saltwater stung his scars from falling in the forest. He shut them tightly and wiped his face. When he got to the steps of Ryan's apartment, he hurried inside. The door was left open, so he let himself in and sat on their couch.

The tears where still coming, annoying him. He pulled the sleeves of his hoodie up past his wrists and pressed them to his eyes, hoping to soak up every tear and eventually make them stop.

He had no one now. No one at the foster home cared about him, and he'd always counted on Ryan and her mother to make him happy. They were almost his family. Now Ryan was gone, and her mother was dead. Why was he still here?

Ryan felt her heart in her throat as she and Brandon dragged the dead body into the back of the motel. She was choking on sobs and getting sick from the smell of garbage and the bloody motel manager she was moving.

"Okay, drop him here," Brandon said, letting go. She let go too, and the man's head hit the asphalt with a thud, causing his neck to snap sideways. Ryan put her hand to her mouth and choked up another sob. She gagged slightly and looked away.

"Ryan…chill out," he said, staring at her. She looked terrible. Her eyes were bloodshot and baggy, her hair was wet from her tears, and she was as pale as the moon.

"Brandon…I don't like this…how many times do we have to do this?" she said through sobs.

"Just…pull yourself together, okay? You're gonna learn that sometimes people have to be eliminated if they get in the way…that guy saw blood on my jacket, and he jumped to conclusions. We couldn't risk it," he said, trying to convince himself also. She shook her head slowly.

"No, Brandon, he didn't jump to conclusions! He was right! You did bad things…you killed people! And I helped! This isn't normal, Brandon!" she yelled, tears streaming down her face.

"Goddamnit, Ryan just get a fucking grip!" He screamed. Her eyes widened and she stared at him, shaking. Finally she wiped her eyes with her sleeves.

"I'm sorry," she said, looking down.

"Let's just go in and get a room key and a room to stay in. We'll be able to think straight after we sleep for a bit," he said, smiling. She nodded.

"Come on," he said, reaching his hand out. She took it and walked back inside the motel with him, telling herself that he was right and everything was going to be okay. Though her confidence in him was fading.