Boy

Six

Brandon had his hand pressed firmly against Ryan's mouth to muffle her screams. Her face was pale, and the sound was dying down.

"Now, when I move my hand, you're going to stop yelling, okay?" he said, trying to be patient with her. She stopped making noise and calmed herself. He moved his hand.

"Wh-what was that? Who are you? What are you?" He stared at her for a few seconds, then sighed.

"Honestly? I don't know what I am. When I was little, my grandmother made up stories about how I was a wizard. And how my parents were wizards. Of course, she didn't really know what she was talking about. But she was right, to an extent. I can do things that nobody else can do. I feel things too." Ryan looked at him, her eyes wide with confusion.

"But…why are you telling me this? Better yet, why did you even talk to me? You don't speak…" He gave an aggravated sigh and stood.

"Because…I wanted to. I just wanted to." Then he knelt down and looked at her dead in the face, something dancing deep down in his eyes, like a flame beginning to grow. "I feel like you were made for me. Like you're who I've been waiting for."

Ryan still had a look of confusion plastered on her face. He touched her cheek.

"You ever felt like God, or whoever or whatever is out there that controls everything…you ever felt like they made somebody for you and that one day you were destined to find them?" Ryan nodded slowly.

"Well that day you almost fell to your death, being an idiot, and I saved you…I just…there was this glimmer in your eyes that I felt matched mine or something. Like I was meant to save you in order to find you."

Ryan wasn't sure how to feel. Flattered, possibly because here was a gorgeous boy saying that they belonged together. Or maybe scared, because of the conviction in his eyes.

"Look, I don't want to force you into my life, but if you just see what else I can do, the magic that I'm capable of…I want you to be apart of it."

Ryan went home later to just lay on her bed and think about everything said and done in the forest at the top of the city. She felt a damp spot by her ankle and moved it slightly. Mouse piss. Mouse piss on her bed.

"Ryan, you aint gotta go to work with me tonight, alright? Eric said he'd come and keep you company," he mother said, peeking through her bedroom door. Ryan gave a big sigh of relief and thanked God for a friend like him.

"That's great." Her mother smiled and left to go back to her own room.

Ryan rubbed her eyes, which had began to show dark circles under them. Since the school burning, she hadn't gotten much sleep. All she did was go to the strip club, come home, and watch television until she'd dose off, only to wake up again when daylight reached her face.

She could always take a nap, but she feared that if she did, she would dream. And when she dreamed, she may dream of him. It sounded like a stupid excuse for one to avoid rest, and it was, but she had her reasons.