Tomorrow May Never Come

Tomorrow May Never Come

Slowly the days passed, and Brian only grew weaker. When Kate and Zack had returned form their honeymoon they didn't expect to see him as bad as he was, but death was quickly catching up to Brian, and he knew it. Only a month and a half after the wedding, and already he was cooped up in the hospital, just waiting.

And after a few weeks, he could feel his time had come. And while he didn't want to leave, Brian felt he was ready for what was laid ahead of him. He had informed Suzy of what he felt, and told her she best call everyone to come and say goodbye soon if they wanted to see him.

"Brian..." Suzy whispered as he was laid, eyes closed, on the hospital bed.

"Hmmm?"

"They're all here to see you," she said, and slowly Brian opened his eyes, fatigue washing over him as he looked at all the occupants in the room. His Uncle Joe was there, along with Ally, Denise was stood with Gia and John by her sides, Jess and Danielle, and finally Zack and Kate. He found his eyes lingering on Kate the longest, but she wouldn't look up from the floor. Kate didn't want to see him looking so tired, so ready.

Seeing movement out of the corner of his eye, Brian turned his head to see Gia slowly making her way toward him, a carnation in her hand. Her cheeks were stained with tears; it had been explained to her what was happening to Brian. Taking the flower from her when she held it out, Brian smiled.

"Will...will you marry me?" he asked shakily, remembering the request he had made the first day he'd met this family that had grown so attached to him, and he to them. Gia slowly shook her head, unable to force a smile as she, too, remembered the day Brian had first asked her that.

"Please?" he whispered. Sniffling, Gia nodded her head, causing Brian to smile. "Thank you..."

Slowly Denise came forward, putting a hand on Gia's shoulder.

"Let's let Brian rest. We'll come again tomorrow, okay?" she asked her daughter, and Gia nodded, wiping her tears away before turning and standing with her brother.

Brian reached out for Denise's hand, holding it with as much strength as he could as he tried to tell here with his eyes that he wasn't so sure tomorrow was coming for him. His heart was beating weaker and weaker every day.

Her own tears filling her eyes, Denise leaned down and pressed a kiss to Brian's forehead, smiling at him when she pulled away. "Thank you...for everything you have done for us."

Brian nodded in return, his own faltering grin shining through for one moment as he let Denise go. She left, taking John and Gia with her, and Jess and Danielle stepped forward.

Jess could tell what Brian was thinking, that this was it. She'd grown very attached to the life the younger man had brought into all their lives.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," she whispered, kissing her hand and placing it on Brian's cheek.

"Th-thank you...se--sexy," he replied, flashing a small grin as he voice strained in his throat. Danielle, so moved by tears, couldn't find the words to say, and so as Jess stood back all she could do was wipe her tears away and give him a small wave. She didn't want to say goodbye; goodbye was for forever. Brian waved back to her, giving her a wink before she and Jess, too, left.

And slowly, one by one, everyone said their goodbyes until it was down to Zack and Kate. Suzy even left the room, allowing the three to all have their time alone for the last time.

Brian's eyes fixed on Kate once more, and when she dared to look at him, so frail looking, she nearly broke down again. Brian patted a spot on the bed beside him and Kate slowly made her way over, sitting and taking his hand in hers. Brian smiled and reached out, poking the dimple in the side of her cheek. Kate tried to laugh at his action, but instead she only cried.

"Please smile...for me, okay?" Brian asked, voice soft. "Don't...don't take a single second of your life for granted." Kate nodded at his advice, and then Brian said something she wasn't expecting. "I lied...when I said I didn't love you. I do. I love you very much, but I need you to give your whole heart to Zack."

Kate knew that Brian had strong feelings for her since the day she'd found out he was dying, but she'd never heard him say it aloud.

"Brian, I...I..."

Shaking her head, she found she couldn't finish what she was about to say and got up, hurrying out of the room. Taking deep breaths she leaned against the wall across from the door, trying to regain control of herself.

Looking from the now-closed door to Zack, who was still stood at the end of his bed, Brian sighed. Zack moved closer, sitting where Kate had vacated seconds before.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, causing Brian to let out a measly laugh.

"Fantastic," he answered with a smirk.

Realizing what he'd said, Zack smiled. "Sorry...stupid question. ...Are you scared?"

"No, I don't think I am," Brian answered, semi-truthfully. "I know she's in good hands, and that's all I think I can ask for." Taking a deep, staggering breath, Brian locked his hard stare with Zack's. "...Kate is yours now, for the rest of your life. But after that...promise me...that she'll be mine."

After a long pause, Zack slowly nodded. "I promise."

Nodding in return, Brian slowly closed his eyes, trying to keep breathing. When he opened them, he saw a sight that could do nothing but make him smile. Zack's hand was held up, fingers crossed.

"Ass," Brian chuckled, a tear slipping from his eye. Uncrossing his fingers, Zack looked at him in all seriousness.

"I promise you."

"Thank you," Brian answered, letting out a sigh. "I think I just want to sleep now. Please, wake me up before you leave? Just so I know?"

"I will," Zack answered, and Brian took another deep breath before closing his eyes, the breath leaving his lungs.

Sitting there for a few moments, Zack felt an uncontrollable wave of panic wash over him; it seemed Brian hadn't moved, had stopped breathing.

"Brian...?" he asked, voice shaking. His friend's eyes opened.

"Not yet," he said with a smile. "...Idiot..." And with that, he closed his eyes one last time.

Kate, finally calming down a little, walked back to the door of Brian's hospital room. Looking through the window, she could see Zack sitting with him, Brian's eyes closed.

And it was then that Brian gave his last breath.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Twenty years later...

"And he went away, leaving us all behind," Kate said, speaking to the younger woman seated next to her on the bench. "Brian became a memory...a memory that is the foundation of all my relationships. He was my first love....and yours too, wasn't he?"

From beside her, Gia, now in her mid-twenties, nodded with a brief smile. She all too well remembered her childhood love for the man who was much older than she.

"I can never forget him," Kate continued. "He taught me to love... To love my life, to love myself. To love Zack. But most of all, he taught me to live my life to the fullest, because there will come a time when there is no tomorrow.... I will never forget him."

Hands were placed on Kate's shoulders, and she looked up to see Zack behind her. He'd aged quite well, being in his late forties now, and she still thought he was as handsome as ever. Over the years they had spent together, she'd fallen deeper and deeper in love with him, and knew that what Brian had done was right. She was happy.

"We," he said. "We can never forget him..." Looking down at Kate, he smiled and kissed her cheek. "Hey."

"Hey," she replied, placing a hand over one of his.

"Mom!" the call of a young girl came by. Turning, Kate and Zack caught eyes with their daughter, Brianna, who was only twelve. She'd been outside playing with the golden retriever they'd gotten when Laila had passed on. "It's too cold, can we go inside now?"

Nodding, Kate stood, Gia with her, and they all headed back toward the large house on Long Island that Zack had bought many years before. Falling in step together, the two let Gia move ahead to their waiting daughter.

"You know, I haven't told you today," Zack said nonchalantly as he placed his arm around his wife.

"What?"

"That I love you," he answered, placing a kiss on her lips as they walked toward the house together. They couldn't have asked for a more perfect life together.

Every girl dreams of finding a good friend in her husband. But I was fortunate enough to find a husband in my best friend. And it was all because of Brian.

Every moment here,
Live life to the fullest.
This is the moment,
For tomorrow may never come.

I am Kate Baker, and this was my story.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm hoping at least a few people played te song that went with this. The instrumental piece up there is just... so amazing, and well...obviously fits the ending of the story, considering it went with it in the movie. Such a good song; I love it!

So, it has ended :)
Took me a lot longer than I expected it to, but it turned out much better in the end than i thought. Was quite a good deal harder, considering it's modeled/based off a movie...in subtitles :P

Hope you guys enjoyed it :)