Tomorrow May Never Come

Eavesdropping

A few days later, Kate and Danielle were on the ferry going into Manhattan for a day of shopping. They were sat together, a doughnut in Danielle's hand, as Kate asked her about her blind date.

"So, how'd the other night go?" she asked.

"He took one look at me, and...well, you know how it goes," Dani said with a sigh.

"You do realize that until you lose weight, you're never going to get a guy, right?" Kate said, taking a deep breath of the chilly air as the wind whipped through her hair.

Taking a bite of her doughnut, Danielle sighed. "I know, but I'm trying, Kate."

"I can see that," Kate answered sarcastically. Suddenly, Danielle's sullen mood was lifted, and Kate heard her gasp aloud.

"Oh my God, Kate! Do you see him? It's the same guy I saw at the ferry station last month! He's so cute!" she gushed.

Rolling her eyes, Kate looked in the direction Dani was pointing, lips curling into a slight frown. "He looks cute to you?"

"Yeah, well...you don't find any guy cute..."

"That is not true!" Kate huffed. Suddenly the person that had been sitting behind them with his back to them turned, sticking his head in between the two girls.

"I can't hear anything you guys are saying!" Brian whined, and Kate nearly jumped in her seat. She didn't expect him to be there, but then again, Brian had lately had a knack for showing up wherever she was.

"You were listening to our conversation?" she asked, fuming.

"I wasn't listening. I was trying to listen, but if you guys talk so quietly, how do you expect me to hear what you're saying?" Brian answered, and then got up, coming around to their side and sitting on the other side of Danielle. "Hello, I don't think we've met yet. I'm Ms. Square's new neighbor, Brian."

"Square?!" Kate hissed, eyes narrowed at Brian.

"Hi, I'm Ms. Square's old neighbor, Danielle."

"Very nice to meet you."

"You shut up, we were talking," Kate said, ending the conversation with Brian before it could start as she turned to Danielle, but Brian beat her to it, turning Danielle by the shoulders to face him more.

"No, you shut up. We're talking. Listen to me, Danielle. Any guy who looks at your figure and loves you-"

"Is blind," Kate muttered.

"Is wrong," Brian snapped back playfully. "Ignore her... Anyway, he should look into your heart, and see who you really are."

"You're right!" Dani said excitedly, understanding what he meant.

"I'm always right. So, who's the guy here who you like?" Brian asked, referring to the boy Danielle had spotted.

Pointing, she smiled. "That one!"

Looking in that direction, Brian saw a guy wearing headphones, bopping his head to the music no one else could hear. He was dressed real smart, his hair spiked up in the front.

"Ah yes... Hey! You over there!" he called out, trying to get the guy's attention.

"Are you talking to me?" the guy asked, pulling off his headphones and looking in Brian and Danielle's direction as Kate tried to ignore what was going on and read the book she'd brought with her.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you, dude," Brian answered.

"Name's Frankie," the guy answered, taking a step closer.

"Ahh yes...Frankie." Within a few seconds, Brian had managed to get his eyes teary, looking like he was about to cry as he put his arm around Danielle and looked at Frankie. "My girlfriend here wants to leave me for you. She says you're cooler, sexier... And your hair..." he said with a sniffle, causing Frankie to look very confused. Turning to Danielle, Brian continued. "What do I do, Danielle? Are you going to leave me for...for that?" he pretended to sob, pointing in Frankie's direction. "How would you feel if I left you for this...this...square!"

Kate picked her head up. "Hey!"

Ignoring Kate's indignant cry, Brian continued. "You are a luck dog, Frankie. Go Danielle, go live your life...be happy...be prosperous. Be happy with Frankie," he said before putting his face into Dani's shoulder as he continued his charade. "Is he coming?" he whispered.

"Uhh--" Danielle answered, but she couldn't say much more before Frankie actually did begin to make his way over to them, though more due to his confusion in the situation than with anything else.

"Hey, I'm Frankie," he greeted, sticking his hand out for Danielle to take.

"Hi, I'm Danielle," she answered quietly, taking his hand in hers.

"So, uh... I DJ at Club Nirvana. It's supposed to be a pretty good turnout tonight, you guys should come," he offered. "Anyways, you take care, man," Frankie said, considering the ferry had stopped and people were starting to get off. He shook Brian's hand as he continued to be teary-eyed before walking off, leaving the trio alone as everyone around them was leaving.

Quickly with a smile, Brian picked his head up. "How did you like my performance?" he asked, and Danielle had to try hard not to squeal.

"Awesome!"

"More like awful," Kate muttered.

"Well, you're just jealous because now Danielle has a boyfriend, and you don't."

"I--I..." Kate stuttered, before a thought came to her. "I do too have a boyfriend!"

"You do?" Dani asked, completely surprised.

Brian, who Kate noticed almost looked disappointed, asked, "You do? Who?"

"....Zack."

"I thought you said the other night that he's just a friend," Brian smirked, thinking he had her all figured out.

"I only said that because I don't talk about my personal life with everyone," she answered back.

"But you should have told me!" Danielle said, feeling hurt that her friend didn't confide in her with such things.

"Oh, don't worry," Brian said, putting his arm around Kate's friend. "Tonight we'll go to the club and we won't have to worry about the square here."

"Not if Zack and I come, which we will!" Kate said, silently wondering how she'd be able to drag Zack into her plan.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You're coming with me tonight to a club as my boyfriend," Kate said bluntly as she and Zack walked down a busy street.

"Uh, who says?" he asked.

"Me. I need you, Zack, please," Kate practically begged.

"I can't go."

"Why not?"

"I said no!" Zack said, hoping to end the conversation.

"Zack, come on!"

"Natalie is coming over for dinner tonight; I can't."

"Oh, so she can come to dinner with you, but you can't come to my place for dinner to save me from my annoying neighbor? What happened with that?" Kate asked hotly, still mad that Zack hadn't saved her from that disaster.

"I got caught up, I'm sorry. Anyway... Natalie says she really likes me."

"Of course she did, why wouldn't she say that? After all, she's found a father for her kids! She's such a liar..." Kate huffed.

"Oh, she's a liar, but you wanting to fake a relationship tonight doesn't make you one?" Zack shot back.

"I only lied because Brian irritates me half to death."

"You just met him the other day. How can he already be irritating you?" Zack asked.

"Do you know what he said to me?"

"What?"

"He said I don't laugh, I don't know how to smile, that I don't have a life... That I don't even know how to live!" Kate said, knowing Zack would be on her side for this.

"Uhm... Kate, he's right."

"I know," she sighed. "But... Who is he to tell me those things!? I want to show him tonight that even I can have a boyfriend, who's cool, handsome, and sexy."

Suddenly Zack stopped, and Kate took a few more steps before realizing he was no longer with her. Turning, she looked at him with a raised brow. "What?"

"...What did you say?"

Smiling, Kate took the few steps back to him. "That you're cool, and handsome, and sexy."

"You mean that?... Do you really think I'm... sexy?" Zack asked with a silly grin.

"Of course I do. But, you're right. We don't have to pretend just to prove Brian wrong--"

"No, no, wait. Let's do it," Zack said quickly.

"Let's do what?"

"You know... Me, you... Boyfriend-girlfriend," Zack said, and Kate smiled.

"What about Natalie?"

"Natalie who?" he answered with a smile.

"Awh, I knew you'd help me out, Zacky," Kate said, hugging him and kissing his cheek. "Okay, so meet me tonight at nine. Club Nirvana, okay?" Kate called before running off, excited that finally she'd be able to get Brian to leave her alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, another update. Might be the last one for a couple days, but I'll try to get another out by this weekend. I just have a LOT of stuff that I'd like to actually work on since I haven't really done work the entire month. I'll be surprised if I can even keep my scholarship =/ Oh well. I might not be going to this school next year anyway .

xox