‹ Prequel: Rock Star Father
Status: On hiatus for now, most likely to be left unfinished.

My Teenage Romance

Going Out

When I was ready to go, I covered Donna’s eyes again, got my coat and we departed, heading first to her house. She lived with her brother and his roommate. Her parents had wanted her to go to our school, as she didn’t like any of the ones in her area – they lived in Utah – but couldn’t afford to move. So, Donna’s brother, Harvey, took her in. He lived within fifteen minutes, driving, of the school with his roommate. Harvey himself was barely seventeen, but his roommate, a great friend of his, was twenty-two. The house was in the elder one’s name, and they shared the bills between them.

Arriving in the hallway, I saw Harvey’s rear end sticking out of a doorway.

“Harvey. Harvey!” Donna shouted. He stood up, turned round and grinned.
“My two favourite girls! Hey, sis, Celeste! How’re you? How’s your birthday been so far?” He asked, walking towards us.

Harvey Harley was tall, slightly tanned and grey eyed. His hair was short and dark brown. Most people would find him attractive, but I despised him. Donna didn’t know, and I was civil to him for her sake.

“It’s been fan-dabby-dozy!” I beamed, earning myself odd looks from the siblings. “British radio host… never mind.”

“And how is your love life?” he grinned. He knew exactly how to get under my skin, and I hated it.

“None of you business, but Quinn and I are doing very well, thank you.” Only he noticed the fakeness of my pleasant tone, and it did not affect him at all! I loathed this constant happiness, it drove me mad.

“Your sex life?”

“Harvey shut the fuck up before I-” I started.

“Celeste!” He jumped. I smirked, knowing I had got to him.

“So, out to the mall first, I told the gang to meet us there.” Donna smiled. She had noticed nothing. Nothing!

“Are you going to busk again?” I inquired.

“No, I don’t feel like it.” She replied.

“Okay then. I’ll just text my dad so he knows exactly where I am, you never know, my uncle may put a fork in the toaster again….” I sighed, pulling out the same phone I had three years ago, the only one I ever had. Nana always urged me to get a new one, but I protested that I needn’t spend the money.

As we were about to leave we met up with Harvey’s roommate. I also despised him. He was a tall, black, black haired reggae lover who thought I was racist and homophobic. I honestly don’t know why, as that statement is such a big lie.

“We’re leaving, don’t bother.” I warned him. “And I love ‘Hairspray’.”

“Huh?” he asked. I began to sing the chorus of ‘Run And Tell That’, from ‘Hairspray’.

“The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. I could say it ain’t so, but darling, what’s the use? The darker the chocolate, the richer the taste. And that’s where it’s at, so baby, baby, run and tell that!”* Everyone was now confused, but I just led the way out of the apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Lyrics from 'Run and Tell That', from the 2002 Broadway show, remade as a 2007 musical flim, 'Hairspray'.