‹ Prequel: Rock Star Father
Status: On hiatus for now, most likely to be left unfinished.

My Teenage Romance

The Mall

“What was that?” Harvey inquired.

“‘Run and Tell That’ from ‘Hairspray’, duh.” I sniggered.

“I mean- uh, never mind.” He sighed, making me smirk.

“So, where first? The shopping centre?” I asked, confusing the American siblings. “Oh, I mean, ‘the mall’, as you would put it.”

“Sure.” Donna smiled.

Five minutes later we arrived outside a shop called ‘Hot Topic’, where we agreed to meet. Even though I had been aware of and shopped at Hot Topic for three years now, I was still in awe of it. Back home in England, there was nothing to compare with it.

The nearest thing was a tiny chain of shops, with only three in the country, called Haze. The shop nearest my house was a single small floor, and only ever had two people working in it and usually a maximum of four people shopping in it at one time. Often I would walk in and be the sole customer, walking around while two employees chatted until they saw me carrying clothes and hovering near the till.

But Hot Topic was huge. There was always at least eight other customers in there before my friends and I entered, and there was always someone working at the till, being kept reasonably busy, as well as three other people working as well.

“Hiya honey!” Quinn beamed; I laughed and shook my head exasperatedly. It amazed me how incredibly upbeat and seemingly friendly everyone in New York was.

“Hey, dude.” I smiled, giving him a high-five and keeping hold of his hand. I loved how he was never afraid of holding my hand in public, even going through the corridor where the soccer team’s lockers were at school, despite the fact that they made fun of him the most. He’s so dedicated.

“Hi guys!” Harvey grinned.

“Hi Harvey.” The group chorused, only somewhat enthusiastically as they found him a little annoying at times too.

“Shall we go in then, or just stay out here and neglect all those pretty little clothes?” Katie asked sarcastically.

“Y’know, that’s what people always did outside Haze, just stand outside and talk. I never used to understand, but I always shopped alone, or with my imitation mum.” I interjected. I tended to call Mrs Easton my ‘imitation mum’ around friends and in my own head. I’m not sure why.

After fifteen minutes of shopping, talking and laughing, my mobile began to ring. Answering it, I shushed my friends and listened.

“Celeste, Mikey put a fork in the toaster again!” Gerard groaned on the other end of the phone line.