‹ Prequel: Everything I'm Not

Love's Requiem

4X4

“Rejoice woman I found the mother load!” Alex exclaimed walking in through the front door while I walked in the living room.

“The mother load of what?”

“You’ll see.” He smirked as he came in the kitchen with two bags in his hands putting them on the counter. “Ginger tea, ginger drink or something they said its good for you to drink in the morning, and five pounds of ginger hard candy.” He explained emptying the bags.

“The candy would have been enough,” I chuckled. “Thank you.” I told him giving him a kiss.

“Let’s see if it works, you still feel nauseous?” He asked opening the bag of candy.

“Not really.” I frowned, as the doorbell rang, “Let’s see its two hours before anyone supposed to be here, that means it’s my parents.” I sighed.

“Put some in your pocket.” Alex said as he handed me a few, as I ran to the door and he put the stuff away.

Sure enough I was right, there was my mom and dad with they’re arms full of stuff.

“Jesus Christ.” I sighed rubbing the arch of my nose.

“Stati jadikovanje i pomoć!” my dad exclaimed handing me a bag.

“What is all this crap?” I asked them in English.

“I know you only got home yesterday so I figured I’d help out with the cooking.”

“Mom, unlike us some people do believe in having a small lunch.” I told her as I brought the bag in the kitchen.

“Nitko ne voli pametan magarac, Isabella.” My mom told me smacking the back of my head.

“It’s great to see you both too! I haven’t seen you in a month. Yes Ma I’m fine thanks for asking.” I said sarcastically having a conversation with myself.

“You sure you want to marry that?” I heard my dad ask Alex.

“She’s entertaining, have you seen her debate with herself?” Alex joked back.

I put all the containers in the fridge and went to check on what I was cooking.

“Since when do you make Burek?” My mom asked me, while her and I were in the kitchen.

“Since Baka gave me her recipe.” I explained checking the time.

“So Alex’s parents, are they nice?” My mom asked me in Croatian.

“Very nice,” I nodded. “Just one problem dad might have with them.” I told her as she took
my hand and smiled at the ring.

“And what’s that?”

“They’re English.”

“Oye.” She chuckled. “We just won’t bring up any football.” She told me.

So my mom and I talked in the kitchen while Alex and my dad were watching I think the Oriels game in the living room.

And about 15 minutes before Alex’s parents were supposed to show up I went upstairs to change seeing as I was in sweatpants and a Ronaldo jersey. I changed in to a pair of grey jeans and a light blue tank top, before I put some light make up on and came hobbling down the stairs jumping down the last one.

“You still do that?” My dad chuckled as took a seat next to him on the couch just as the bell rang.

“Be nice,” I mumbled to my dad in Croatian.

“Nice? I’m a saint.” He chuckled back.

As we introduced our parents to each other, the second Alex’s dad spoke; my dad shot me a look that made my mom chuckle and me.

“It’s nice to finally meet you.” My mom smiled as she shook their hands. “I’m Ivana, and this is my idiot of a husband Andrej.” My mom said making me smile.

Our parents talked in the living room while Alex and I heated up the food my mom made.

“What the heck is this?” Alex exclaimed opening up a container, with a smell that made me pull out one of the candies.

“Octopus salad, she made Dalmatian food great.” I groaned.

“Do they work?” He asked as I cringed.

“Actually,” I paused, “I think we’re on to something!” I smiled hugging him, as I brought out the rest of the food.

“Bella you made all this?” Alex’s mom asked me as we all went to sit down.

“No, no my mom brought some things.” I explained.

“I only made your favorites.” My mom chuckled as she passed the octopus salad to me.

I put some on my plate no longer feeling sick to my stomach and passed it to Alex.

“What is this?” Alex’s mom asked as Alex handed the bowl to her.

“Octopus salad.” Alex explained, as his mom looked a little sick too.

“It tastes better than it looks.” My dad chuckled.

Once the huge elephant in the room left, our parents started discussing the wedding with us. Alex’s parents seem to like the idea of us getting married in Croatia, but seemed happier once we told them we’d also have a ceremony here for all our friends and family.

“Nonsense we’ll pay for the one in Zagreb.” My dad said sternly to Alex and I.

“Mr. Sladovic really you don’t have to.” Alex told him.

“Govna!” My dad exclaimed.

“Fine! But nothing big I just want the church and that’s it.” I said in Croatian absent-mindedly.

“You need a reception!” My mother interjected.

“Dinner at Baka’s”

“What about Ante’s winery?” My dad asked my mom.

“That could work.” She said rubbing her chin.

Two hours later, we were eating desert and finally had everything planned out, Alex and I would get married in the church in Zagreb followed by a small dinner at my uncle’s winery.

“Let us handle the one here.” Alex said putting his hands up. “Neither of you have to worry about that, just show up to it.”

“Well glad that’s over.” I sighed after our parents left.

“Let’s just be happy no one brought up soccer.” Alex joked as I sat between his legs on the couch.

“I’m beat.” I yawned.

“It’s only 7.”

“I’m pregnant.”

“Is that going to be your excuse now? Bella why did you punch Jack?” He asked, “Because I’m pregnant.” He said imitating my voice making me laugh.

“It works.” I told him resting my head on him as he turned on the TV.
♠ ♠ ♠
Govna- Shit
Stati jadikovanje i pomoć - Stop whining and help
Nitko ne voli pametan magarac - Nobody likes a smart ass

Bella's outfit The engagement ring is in the set.