‹ Prequel: Everything I'm Not

Love's Requiem

My thoughts you can't decode

As I pulled on my coat, Mihaela was already rambling about how she was on to me, and that she knows whom Alex really is, all in my mother tongue of course.

“Okay” I told her in Croatian, “He’s is not really Croatian okay you caught me!” I fessed up.

“I knew it! He’s hot though” She smirked as we walked down the street.

“Uh thanks?”

“How’d you both meet?”

“I work with his band.”

“Oh I see, it’s the whole eat where you shit type of thing.”

“And you say you hate Jesse” I mumbled in English.

“I only understood half of that!” I heard her reply making me laugh. “This has to be the most Croatian you’ve spoken to someone other than your parents huh?” She laughed.

“Pretty much, I still got it though!” I laughed.

“Well duh” She said shaking her head as we hooked arms. “So you and this Alex, how long?”

“It’ll be 2 years in July.”

“Really, wow.”

“On my birthday no less”

“Well let’s see if he gets the Michi approval.”

“How did you hear about him?” I asked as we turned around and headed back to my Grandma’s house.

“Please, you’re Baka already started planning your wedding, and your cousin Monica was bitching about how she’s the one getting married so she’s more important.”

“Typical Monica” We both said shaking our heads.

“So go get your boy toy we’ll show him around.” She told me as we got back to the house. “I need to work on my English.” She added making me laugh.

“Alex!” I shouted coming in to the house.

“What?” I heard him yelled from the living room.

“Hey” I smiled walking in the room, seeing him and Niko watching TV. “Come get your coat, we’re going out.” I told him.

“Finally!” He laughed. “I was waiting for kurac to be said just so I could say I understood one thing.” He told me making me laugh.

“Hi Alex” Mihaela said as we walked outside.

“Hi uh”

“You can call me Michi, it’s a million times easier to pronounce.” She told me.

“Cool” He nodded as he took my hand and we walked down to the city.

“So Bella and you grew up together?” Alex asked her.

“Yes”

So throughout the walk Alex learned every embarrassing thing possibly that not even my own brother knew about.

“The best is whenever it was bath time!” Michi explained.

“I will hurt you so bad.” I mumbled to her in Croatian.

“She’d hide in bushes or run to my house naked because she didn’t want to take a bath!”

“That now explains why she never cares about showering on summer tours.” Alex laughed.

“Oh you both suck!” I mumbled.

“So Alex this is the center of Zagreb, there’s the Cathedral donning of course our country's crest” Michi said changing the subject.

“That’s where we’ll be Christmas Eve.” I whispered to him.

“Can’t wait.” He mumbled sarcastically.

“I know babe, don’t worry me and Niko have the best way to pass off sleeping.” I told him.

“You mean like that one time when you were three and decided to piss yourself so you could go home and eat the Christmas bread?” Michi asked.

“Enough about Bella being naked and pissing!” I exclaimed shaking my head.

“Okay, now we can talk about Bella puking” She joked. “I’m kidding, I missed you Bella last time I saw you, you were 15 pissed off and a Goth kid.” She said pulling me in to a hug.

“And you were one, right along with me”
“We don’t talk about that phase.” She mumbled.

“That’s what I thought.” I nodded making her laugh.

So we showed Alex around the city, which seems pretty easy. Except for the fact that walking those streets made me start recalling my childhood and why we left here in the first place, the war.