‹ Prequel: Everything I'm Not

Love's Requiem

Montauk

The guys left that morning, leaving a questioned filled me with Niko for the day.

“Want to take a walk?” I asked Niko around noon.

“Sure,” He smiled, as he got up from the couch and we headed out putting out coats on.

An hour later, we were walking past a park when a dog came running up to us.

“Hey there buddy,” I smiled grabbing the dog’s leash expecting its owner to show up chasing after it. The dog still seemed to be a puppy.

“Thanks!” A woman exclaimed running with another three dogs, she must have been a dog
walker I guessed.

“Don’t mention it, he’s adorable.” I told her handing her the leash.

“It’s a shame no one wants to adopt him.” She frowned.

“I’m sorry?” I said confused.

“There’s aren’t my dogs I just volunteer at the shelter a few blocks down.” She explained.

“I see, well have a good day.” I said as Niko and I continued walking. “I always wanted a dog.” I mumbled.

“So why don’t you go check it out?” He asked me.

“Who’d take care of it when I’m on the road?”

“I’m sure your brother or parents wouldn’t mind.”

“Eh I guess, it wouldn’t hurt to look I guess.” I suggested as we turned around and headed in the direction of the shelter.

Niko and I walked in and went to the dog section, the volunteers let us play and look at a few of them. None of the dogs really caught my interest, well that was until I saw the white little puppy that was passed out in her bed, and had one little spot on her back.

“She’s perfect.” I smiled as I stopped in front of her cage.

As soon as I stopped she opened one of her eyes and then stuck her tongue out as she stretched.

Two hours later I had adopted my own little puppy that was absolutely adorable.

“Any names yet?” Niko asked as we walked back to my apartment.

“Still thinking.” I told him.

When we got back to my apartment after buying things for the puppy I finally had thought of a name.

“Zita!” I exclaimed as we opened the crate and let her out in to the apartment.

“She looks like a Zita,” He smiled.

We spent the rest of the night trying to get Zita used to my apartment and us.

“Can I ask you something?” I said to Niko while we were rolling a ball back and forth for Zita to chase after.

“You know you can.” He smirked.

“We need to talk about last night.” I told him, as he let out a small sigh.

“Okay, I somehow saw this coming.”

“You don’t kiss someone like that and just go on like it never happened!” I exclaimed.

“Isabella, we were just caught up in everything.”

“That’s bullshit and you know it.”

“No I don’t. Isabella “

“Fine.” I mumbled getting up and going in to my room closing the door.

I put my stereo on low and listened to Bayside, while I tried to calm down. I closed my eyes and just getting lost in the song. Somehow it gave me an idea, so I picked myself up and grabbed my acoustic guitar heading back in to the living room. I shut off the TV, and sat on the couch across from where Niko was.

“Yes?”

“Listen,” I told him as I tuned the guitar quickly, and then began playing the opening chords of the song. “It’s getting cold, though it was too soon to tell. But it was terribly old and as the heartbeat slows to a heartless crawl.” I sang beginning to play Bayside’s Montauk.

“In years to come it might make sense, but sweetness, can you believe this? This what's become of it? What's become of it? If you hear this and you think you're ready, then meet me in Montauk where we'll write out in the sand, here lies the destiny of 2 hurt souls afraid to be cured again. That could be our epitaph.” I continued.

When I finished I huffed and got up storming back off to my room hoping the song might have gotten through to him. I’m not really sure if it worked or not because the next thing I knew it was 9am, and I was cuddled in to Niko with Zita sleeping at the bottom of my bed.