Status: Hiatus.

Maybe You're Gonna Be the One That Saves Me

Mushy-Cushy-Lovey

It was Friday. Everyone was busy talking about their plans for today after school and for the weekend.

As usual, Clayde dragged me to the cafeteria during lunch. I sat next to him and let the others had their conversation.

“Is Jamie coming?” Paigey suddenly asked.

I snapped my head up. “Huh?”

“Are you coming with us to see Twilight tomorrow?” Sam finished for her.

“Um… I don’t know…”

“Please?” Clayde whispered next to me.

I glanced to Chris and he only raised his eyebrows.

“Sure, I guess…” I answered.

“Yay!” Paigey squeaked. “Finally – a girl!”

Chris gave her a weird look. “It sounds like you’re having a baby or something.”

“I mean, finally there’s another girl who hangs out with us. Hanging out with these boys is pretty stressful, you know?” she whispered loudly to me; loud enough for everyone in the table to hear.

“We hear that,” the boys said in unison.

“Damn,” she groaned.

I smiled a little. Maybe hanging out with them is not a bad idea…

* * *

Twilight was amazing. I didn’t know how to explain it. Fabulous? Brilliant? Awesome? I don’t know… it’s just plain amazing.

We were having lunch at Mother’s Cook. It was this restaurant that has burgers, hot dogs, nachos and all that jazz.

“Can I have your fries?” Sam asked to Chris.

“Why don’t you ask your girlfriend’s?” Chris asked back.

Sam thought for a moment and then he turned to Paigey, who was sitting next to him. He took a fry from her plate.

“What – heyy!” Paigey whined. “Give it back!”

“No,” Sam said.

“Sammy,” she whined again, extending the ‘y’.

“Are Sam and Paigey…?” I asked quietly to Clayde, who as usual, sat next to me.

“Yeah, they’re dating for about eight months now,” he replied.

My eyes bulged wide and I glanced at the couple.

“I know they don’t look like they are,” he chuckled. “They’re not the mushy-cushy-lovey type.”

“What the hell? Mushy-cushy-lovey?” I almost laughed.

“I don’t know another word to describe them,” he grinnedadorably.

“Well, mushy-cushy-lovey works good enough.”

“It is, isn’t it?”

I smiled a little and my eyes darted off to my half-eaten hot dog. I noticed my fries had become lesser than I saw before…

“Did someone eat my fries?” I asked.

“Sam did!” Paigey pointed.

“Paigey doesn’t let me having her fries,” Sam pouted.

I sighed. “Take mine.”

His eyes lit up. “All of them?”

I shrugged. “If you want to.”

“Thank you!” he said and started moving my fries to his plate.

I finished my hot dog and glanced at my watch. 3.45 PM already?

“Um, guys…” I said and they all stopped joking and put their attention on me. “I think I gotta go home. Mother worries a lot.”

“Aww, do you really have to go?” Chris asked. I found that so annoying.

I nodded and stood up. “I’m sorry, guys. See you on Monday.”

They murmured goodbye and I left the restaurant and headed home.