A Naked Light

X

"Well Jack, I think we're ready. Say hello to Glamour Kills' newest line: JAGK!"

I grinned as the brunette's face lit up, watching as model after model passed in front of him, dressed in all of his creations. My heart swelled with pride and happiness; I missed the feeling of accomplishment this sort of work gave me. I'd been away from it for far too long and this was just the way to bounce back from it all. As the women and men stood in line, Jack jumped from his seat and pulled me into a crippling hug. Alex remained in his seat, chuckling. I laughed, patting his back.

"Congratulations Jack," I said, my cheek pressed to his chest. "You've earned this."

"Fuck that!" He let go of me. "You're the reason any of this shit is here. You stayed up for hours and drew up the designs, you spent weekends talking to marketing and creating the ads. Addy, you are the reason I can do any of this. You're the master, brah."

I burst out laughing as he hugged me again. He let go a moment later, planting a big, slobbery kiss on my cheek before prancing off to stare at the pretty girls in his shirts. I rubbed at the spot and smiled, walking over to Alex.

"He's so happy," I gushed. I turned to meet Alex's gaze, but his eyes were elsewhere. I tilted my head, turning him by the chin to face me. His eyes widened at the sudden movement and I smiled gently. "But you're not. What's wrong?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. I - I guess I've been thinking too much."

I laughed. "Or too hard."

He shoved me and chuckled. "Yeah, thanks." He crossed his arms. "I dunno, it's Lindsey. She's been so preoccupied with everything." He looked up at me incredulously. "Did you know she still hasn't chosen the fondant colour she wants?"

I nodded, sighing. "She told me. I spent all weekend in yet another bakery. She coaxed me into it. Said it would get me out of picking out china patterns for the hall." We let out a laugh, but my eyes fell to my lap immediately. "Look Alex," I said, waiting for him to look up before continuing, "I don't know what to tell you, but from the looks of it, you really do love Lindsey. Whatever's setting you off right now," I shook my head, "it's not that big a deal. She's just being nitpicky. It's her way; you know that."

"I don't know if I can live with nitpicky," he mumbled under his breath.

There was a hitch in my patterned breathing. "You don't mean that," I whispered. I shook my head. "No, c'mon Alex. You wouldn't ask someone to marry you if you didn't mean it."

He didn't respond.

"W-would you?" I stuttered.

His eyes darted around the room and he shook his head. "Look, this is definitely not the time to be talking about my half-assed problems. This is your day, and Jack's day." He smiled. "I say we go out and celebrate; you, me and Jack. My treat."

I grinned. "As fun as that sounds, I'm already meeting Tori for drinks later." I thought for a moment, tapping my green patent leather pumps against the table. "But... if you could get Rian to come, I'm sure she'd let you all tag along."

Alex chuckled, looking up at Jack as he stared at his own personal cut-out of himself. "I walked in on him texting her the other day. I doubt I'll have to twist his arm."

"Those two are meant for each other."

"Are they ever."

I smiled, grabbing my bag and my Blackberry off the table. "Alright, I guess I'll see you guys tonight. We'll carpool in my SUV."

"Alright, see ya," Alex waved.

"See ya. Bye Jack. Congrats again," I called, closing the door behind me.

As I revved the engine, I dialled Tori's number, excited to hear her reaction at the thought of seeing Rian. Stopped at a red light and leaving a message on the unanswered cell, I couldn't help but think about Alex as I drabbled on and on about how she'd get to sit next to Rian and they could talk and dance and drink. He'd said the one thing I had been trying to convince him of for months and now I was the one who didn't agree with it. I ended the call and hung a right on the next street, anxious to get home and relax, and perhaps even get a head start on the buzz I'd be getting later that night.

I flipped through my latest copy of Rolling Stone as the guys sat at the kitchen table and Mom made cookies.

"I'm so proud of you," she gushed, pulling out a baking sheet from the oven.

I smiled, enthralled in the article I was reading on 80s heavy metal. "I know, ma. I didn't stop believing you after the first seven or eight times you told me." I flipped the magazine shut and tossed it in front of me, heading to the bread box and putting a few slices into the toaster. "Besides, it's Jack's line. He's the one to be proud of. He's the face of JAGK; without him, it'd just be another trendy clothing branch-off."

Zack bit into a fresh apple. "That dude's been going on forever about doing this, Addy. You made it happen. You're the coolest person in the world in his book."

I grinned. "As I should be, but really, without Jack, we wouldn't have much to go on."

A loud noise made me jolt from my spot against the countertop and I felt my cheeks redden as everyone began laughing at me. Rian got up from his seat beside Zack and grabbed a Pop-Tart from one of the cupboards. He chuckled. "You know, I think you're the only person I know that likes to watch horror movies, but shit's a brick when she hears the toaster."

I flipped him off. "Sit and spin, fucker."

"Addison!" Mom scolded.

The guys snickered and Zack just looked over at me, speaking in a mocking tone. "Yeah, Addison. That's not proper etiquette."

"Oh... hush up," I hissed as the front door opened.

"We're home," Alex said, shutting it behind him. Jack ran ahead of him and slid into the kitchen as the cackling died down. I buttered my toast as he did a victory dance and smiled.

"I'm so excited! My line's done. Dude, it's so amazing. You guys are gonna love it. Check this out." He ripped open his sweater, showing off a brand new JAGK tee, complete with pop art versions of Jack. I stuffed one of the toasts in my mouth as I sat back down at the table.

"If I'd known a t-shirt would hold his attention, I'd have bought him one before he got his hands on my LPs."

"That was an accident," he whined. Alex leaned in the door frame of the kitchen entrance and chuckled. I met his gaze and he shot me a friendly smile. I returned it and went back to reading my magazine when loud thumping sent the room into a quiet riot.

"Alexander William Gaskarth, what the hell is this?!"

All our heads spun and I watched as Mom set down the cookies and cleaned her hands on her apron, preparing to go into 'mama mode'.

"What's wrong, Lindsey?" she coaxed. "What's the problem?"

"There's lipstick on his shirt!"

I choked on my toast, my face flaring red as Rian put his arm around my shoulder, waiting for me to stop. Everyone looked at me, but the attention was thrust back upon Alex as Lindsey continued her rant. She held up the evidence to the room: a prototype of the JAGK Safari tee. He met my gaze for a moment as he stood there, lost for words. Sure enough, there was a large smudge of red across the 'A'.

"Lindsey, calm down. It's probably yours," I said, trying to sound convincing. I knew she wouldn't buy it, but I had to try. I took a sip of Zack's water, trying to wash the awful lie from my mouth.

I knew where the lipstick had come from. When we had done the web shoot, Alex had expressed his love for it. During break, the model who'd been wearing it and one of our makeup artists had had a little fun in the closet and when the shirt was returned, there was a smear of ruby lipstick across it. I'd given it to him after the web shoot, apologizing for the flaw, but he took it anyway, saying he'd wash it. Clearly, he still hadn't.

"I would never wear such a hideous colour! Bright, goddamn red! I'm not a chimney or a flying balloon thing, Addison!"

"No, but you're sure blowing a lot of hot air," I spat.

"Addy, stop it!" Mom yelled.

"Stop defending her!" I shouted. "She gets away with everything. No. It's not fair. Would you just chill out for five seconds, Lindsey? The stupid mark's probably yours. God knows he's your slave, it's not that farfetched of an idea."

"This isn't between you and me. This is between me and Alex. Bud out," she seethed, grabbing at Alex's shirt and dragging him into the hall.

As the bickering grew louder and louder, I felt Zack, Rian and Jack's eyes drift to me. Mom frowned and left the room, probably going to bury her nose in a book and let everyone cool down.

"Where's the lipstick from?" Zack asked cautiously.

When I didn't respond, Rian spoke up. "We know you know, Addy. Was it you?"

I looked up at them, but Jack interjected. "Nah. Nah, it wasn't her, guys. It was this chick from the shoot. She had her hands all over one of the models. Addy gave Alex the shirt he wore cause he wanted it." He shook his head again and repeated himself. "It wasn't her."

"But she's pissed, anyways." I shook my head. "She always gets her way."

"And Alex takes it," Jack insisted. "He doesn't say anything. It's not your fault. He's gotta say something." He stood up straight, strong and proud. "He's gotta look at her menacingly, so she knows he's not gonna take any of her bullshit. He's gotta use his arms and hands for emphasis when he talks, and then, when he knows what he's going to say, he'll go -"

"I've had it with your bullshit, Lindsey! If you won't believe me now, I doubt you'll believe me ten years down the road! Fuck it, I'm done."

Jack's mouth fell and he slowly turned around, watching as Alex headed towards the door. We all got up from the kitchen table and rushed into the hallway. Lindsey stood on the steps, furious tears streaming down her cheeks. She let out an aggravated yell and stormed up the stairs, slamming her bedroom door behind her. Alex grabbed his hoodie and did the same, the house shaking as the front door locked in fury.

Instinctively, Jack raced towards the door, but I caught him by the shoulder. He turned to face me, his brown eyes glazed with compassion and apprehension. I held back the tears he made me want to cry and pressed a hand to his cheek. I shook my head. "Let him go," I whispered. "Let him figure this out. You can't help him this time."

"But he's my best friend," he said, his lip trembling. "I want to."

I smiled. "I know you do, Jack. I know you do." He opened the front door and walked outside, sitting on the stone steps of our house. Zack and Rian headed up to their rooms, unaware of what else to do and exhausted beyond belief. I followed Jack and sat beside him. I heard him sniffle and grabbed his shoulders, cradling him as his tears stained my shirt and mine silently stained his.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, you should read my story.
I've started writing a sequel. I think you'd like them :)

ps, Believe it or not, I wrote 2009 words.
How freaking creepy is that?!
Whoa, that's some crazy good luck, eh?
Well, here's my update.
The next one's gonna be a killer, just you wait ;)

SKMC.