A Naked Light

II

"There are extra blankets in the linen closet and the pillows are on the shelf right above."

I smiled as the maternal instructions filtered through the air and most likely right through Lindsey's ears.

"Thank you, Amy," Alex replied.

"Yeah, thanks Mom. I'm gonna go unpack, okay, baby?"

I could practically hear the smile on Alex's lips as he responded, kissing her before she ran up the stairs. Mom and Dad excused themselves, retiring for the evening, which left me to clean up the gigantic mess of pots, pans and plates in the kitchen.

Naturally.

I blew a piece of hair out of my face as I forced myself elbow deep in soapy water, scrubbing the too-big-to-dish-wash roast pan. The floorboards creaked and I peered over my shoulder slowly, Alex standing a few feet behind me. I smiled faintly, continuing to scrub the pan, praying to God that my cheeks weren't reddening.

"Do you need some help?"

I chuckled. "Nah, I'm good. This'll only take me a few minutes. I'm a pro pan washer, y'know?"

He crossed his arms playfully, mocking surprise. "No! Really? I'm not worthy."

I smirked, placing the cookware on a rack to dry off. "You're pretty funny, kid."

"Kid?" He smiled. I held my breath as he got closer by the second, his feet approaching until his large shadow casted over me and my task. "I'm willing to bet I'm older than you, hun."

"You're probably right," I quipped sweetly. "Then again, I'm willing to bet you only call my sister 'hun'."

His eyebrow rose slightly and for a moment, panic flashed through his eyes. "Usually."

My lips parted then formed into a Cheshire cat grin. I turned back to my duty. "Better not let her find out you're scamming her with those 'huns'. God knows she'll never let you live that down."

"Not even if it's her sister?" he grinned.

I dried my hands and unplugged the sink, leaving the cookware to dry for the night. I laughed, tossing the dishcloth in his face. "She never approved of me being superior to her. I couldn't have anything better than what she had."

"Oh?" He tucked the cloth on the end of the stove and leaned against the table. "I didn't know she was that possessive."

"Don't flatter her. She'll soak up the praise like a sponge."

He chuckled. "I love her."

My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach; I knew that something like that clearly wouldn't make a difference. He'd been with her this long; he obviously knew the way she worked. And seemingly, it hadn't affected the way he felt about her. Damn.

"You don't have to try and validate your love for her to me, Alex. Lindsey's all that matters."

He gave me a wary look, almost apologetic. "I'm not really sure why I said that."

"Don't sweat it. You're probably just tired." I pressed my hands to my hips. "God knows I make less sense at this hour."

"You seem pretty awake to me," he laughed.

I chuckled. "I guess so. Probably all the fuss and excitement. Truthfully, I was dreading it all."

He gave me an apologetic look; he didn't seem offended in the least. Something told me that I was going to grow dangerously fond of this guy.

"Lindsey told me what happened." His voice was hushed, almost as if he was trying to coo me to sleep. I was ashamed to admit to myself that it was working. The sound of his voice came out as a lullaby, lulling me into sweet dreams. "About leaving all those years ago, and not keeping in touch. She told me about how your parents tried to contact her, and how she didn't bother. I thought it was wrong of her."

Hot tears began to sting at my eyes and I looked away. "It was for the best."

"No, Addy. No it wasn't. It nearly tore this family apart. You should've seen your parents when we came through the door." His hand touched my shoulder for a moment and I could feel my skin ripple with fresh goose bumps. "I don't think your mother's been happier."

"She doesn't deserve this attention," I snapped. "She's gotten everything she's ever wanted, and then she disobeys our parents and wanders back in like the goddamn prodigal son. I'm no saint, but I'd never get away with half the shit she has!"

I refused to look at him, even though I couldn't blame him for defending the woman he loved. We just didn't seem to see eye to eye, and the height difference had nothing to do with it.

"She told me about you the whole drive here." The hand fell from its spot and I frowned, disguising my face by looking down at my feet. "She said that you were a tiny, spunky little thing, with braces and short frizzy hair."

I feigned amusement, but the disgust in my face just seeped right through.

"And then she told me that she was sure you'd grown up, and shined like a star, because you were always like that, despite everything anybody ever told you."

A stray, fresh tear dotted my foot as it slipped from the confines of my eyes. I was so stubborn, but I wouldn't let sweet nostalgia and melancholy phrases control me. I refused to let it get the better of me, but I was warming up to Alex. I figured that out at dinner, and things just seemed to be going downhill from there. Clearly, I didn't mind that much, because I knew if I did, I would've pushed him away. I wasn't trying hard, not nearly as hard as I could have. I had the strength, I was willing to put in the effort, but something about Alex just wasn't worth ruining. Maybe it was his cheery disposition, his incredible outlook on life, his undeniable maturity, his astounding perfectly-timed immaturity. He was a keeper, just not mine.

Alex sighed, displeased and disappointed by my silence, and turned around, heading towards the staircase. As his feet mounted each step, I leaned against the sink, my eyes burning holes into the titanium. I bit my lip and cursed under my breath. It seemed my older sister was prevailing yet again, and being MIA for the past seven years wasn't affecting her winning streak.

Not.
One.
Bit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2, on deck.
Comments, concerns?
They're all appreciated.
xoxo