Dreaming Up A Secret

Rembering

I tripped jaggedly down the rocky hill, running desperately, not for my life, but for his. I hurried through, breaking out of the forest that surrounded the playground and down towards his house. I could barely take in any air though I kept running. I darted across the street, dodging the occasional car, speeding up as his house came into sight. I could hear screams of anger and crashes coming from it. I ran up the path and broke threw the door to see Aiden’s dad throwing a lamp at him.
“NO! AIDEN!” I screamed as he crumbled to the ground.
His dad walked over and began to kick him repeatedly.
“NO! NO!” I continued to scream, though they seemed completely oblivious to me, “PLEASE! STOP! PLEASE!”
I watched was Aiden gave up and let himself slip out of life.[i/]
That’s when I woke up screaming. I was laying on the couch-bed in my room with Aiden above me shaking me awake.
“Ronan, Ronan, wakeup!”
“AIDEN!” I said as loudly as I could without screaming or waking my parents.
I jumped up and wrapped my arms around him, kissing his soft lips. He just stood there for a moment before kissing me back.
“Um, nice to see you to?” He smiled when we pulled back.
“Oh, Aiden!” I gasped.
“That sounded rather inappropriate,” he winked at me.
I giggled almost girlishly and pulled closer to him.
“Wow…I should sleep over more often,” he said as I kissed him again.
A yawn escaped his velvet lips and he pulled me back to the bed to lay with him.
“Aiden?”
“Ya?”
“I love you.”
“I love you too,” he rolled over and kissed me.
I wrapped my arms around him as we both fell asleep in comfort.
~ * ~
I woke up with my cell phone alarm going off. I quickly reached out, grabbing it from where it was sitting on the night table and switched it off. Aiden’s warm arms were attached to me at the hips. He blinked his eyes open and smiled sleepily at him.
“Sorry about the alarm,” I glanced at his arm.
“Aw, its fine, you’re not that bad to wake up to either,” he grinned.
I rolled out of bed and quickly pulled on jeans and a A Day To Remember tee shirt.
“So what’ya wanna do today?” I asked him.
“Go to the park?” He suggested.
“Sure,” I shrugged before pulling him out of bed.
As he pulled off his shirt to change, I couldn’t help but wince when I saw the bruises that covered his entire pale, tiny chest. It also bothered me that he wore those little sleeves. They didn’t cover all of his arm, just his wrist and lower arm. They were cut from a regular shirt and had holes in his thumb that kept them up. He grabbed a shirt from his bag, which I had left by the bed, slowly pulling it over his head, carefully avoiding the bruises.
I helped him push his hurt arm through the shirt. He smiled at me as I brushed his skin, letting my fingers linger right above the cast.
“Want some breakfast?” I asked him randomly.
His stomach answered for him with a loud growling noise.
“Ok, then” I smiled and took his hand, leading him up to the kitchen.
I pulled out peanut butter crackers. Incase you couldn’t tell, peanut butter crackers were a favorite of his, he love, love, loved them. So I grabbed an extra pack and shoved them into my pocket for him to eat later. I know, I’m so friggin caring. (Hehe)
Aiden bit into it, seeming way to happy for someone who just escaped from their last parent because he turned abusive when he found out his son was gay, and skipped to the door.
He linked his non injured arm with mine, smiling, “skip with me!”
So, I did. We skipped down the road, probably looking like total retards and not giving a shit. We skidded to a stop outside the park.
“Swings?” He asked.
“Swings.” I confirmed.
We ran over to the swing set, probably our favorite part of the park, tied with the twisty slide, and each plopped down on one. The swings were on the outer edge of the park by the forest, close enough that if you could swing high enough, you could touch some of the branches. When we were kids, Aiden, Tom, Alice, and I used to come out here and get on the swings and have contests to see who could swing highest. The top two winners faced off against each other for points then. Five points if you kick a branch, ten if you hit it with your hand, and one hundred if you can catch it, drop your swing and hold onto it. Did I mention I always one these things by at least one hundred points?
“Do you remember Tom and Alice?” I asked him out of the blue.
“Ya, what about them?”
“I was just thinking about them…what happened? I haven’t talked to either of them in forever.”
“I don’t know, after we reached seventh grade and Tom went to spend the year in Germany, and Alice went to Italy, we didn’t see them that summer when they got back. Then we just didn’t hang out I guess.”
“We should call them,” I decided suddenly.
Aiden gave me a look, “do you really think they’ll even remember us?”
“Its worth a try, isn’t it?” I looked over at him before pulling my cell out of my pocket.
I scrolled through my contact list until I hit Tom, then pressed the ‘call’ button.
“Hello?” He picked up one the third ring.
“Hey, Tom! You remember your good old friends Ronan and Aiden, right?”
“Oh my god, RONAN!??!” He gasped.
“You guessed it,” I responded.
“Hey man! What’s up! I haven’t seen you in forever!”
“Ya, I know, well, here’s your chance. I’m at the park. You know, the one with the swing. Come’on out and meet us here!”
“Us?”
“Aiden’s here to!”
“Ok I’ll be there in about ten minutes.”
“Bye!”
I clicked the ‘end call’ button then scrolled to Alice.
It took her longer to pick up, but she eventually did, sixth ring to be exact.
“Hey Alice! It’s Ronan! Come down to the park now!” I cut the small chat with her, knowing that we’d all have time to catch up soon.
“Uh, who’s this?”
“Don’t tell me you forgot Ronan!”
“Ronan! I thought you were dead!”
“Nope, still kicking, sorry to inform you. Come down to the park and I’ll prove it.”
“Ok, ok, be there soon, bye bye.”
“Tom and Alice are on there way,” I informed Aiden.
“Wow,” he marveled, “I never thought I’d see them again.”
“Never thought I’d do this again,” I said swinging up and grabbing a branch.
“Ronan!” He gasped, “get down! Be careful! Don’t fall!”
“What are you?” I laughed it off, “my mom?”
“Nooooo, Ronan! I’m your boyfriend who wants you to be safe!” He looked at me with an expression that read clearly ‘I’m gunna cry.’
Either he knew he had me in the palm of his hand or he was taking random shots, but whatever it was, I couldn’t resist making him happy. His peace of mind, though why it depended on me I have no clue, was all I cared about.
“Fine!” I dropped to the ground with a quiet thud.
“Ronan! Are you ok?!” He yelled, slowing his swing.
“Chillax, Aiden, I’m fine,” I brushed off my hands for good measure.
I heard a clapping from the background and saw Tom walking up.
“Tom!” Aiden and I yelped in unison, both jumping from our spots to hug him.
“Hey guys! Wow! You got so much taller!” Tom exclaimed.
“Haha!” I responded sarcastically.
Tom had always been taller than the rest of us and loved making fun of us for being short. Alice was a little shorter than him, coming up only to his chine, whereas we come up to his shoulder, about. Speaking of Alice, I could hear her high voice coming from behind us.
Tom managed to untangle himself from our hugs to get to Alice and give her one.
“Hey, Tom,” she greeted him casually before running over to us and giving us a slightly girly hug, “Aiden! Ronan! Guys I missed you so much!”
That’s when Alice noticed the cast and sling on Aiden’s arm.
“Aiden!” She cried, “what happened to you?”
Alice had always been a mother of sorts towards us. Meaning that she always was the careful one, she took care of us. She was the one who bandaged us when we got hurt and the one we went to with all our problems. Had she not been gone, Alice probably would’ve been the first to learn that I was gay. Most likely Aiden to. Alice was our own personal Doctor Phil.
“Hey! What about me?” Tom whined, faux hurt coating his voice.
“Aw, Tom-cat, you know I missed you too!” She ran over to him an gave him a huge hug.
“Tom-cat?” Aiden and I said in unison.
She kissed him quickly on the lips before turning back to us, wrapping her arms around him and say, “yes, Tom-cat.”
“Wow, I didn’t know you guys were dating! You make a cute couple!” I made little picture taking signs with my hands.
Aiden wrapped me up in his arms suddenly and kissed me like Alice just had.
“Wow! Wow! Wow! I didn’t know you guys were dating!” She put extra emphasis on you.
I realized that Alice and Tom had not seen us since we were small straight boys. Last time we had ever hung out, Aiden and I had been just very close friends. During seventh grade, when Alice and Tom were gone, was when Aiden and I first realized we were gay and came out to each other. Its also when I realized I liked Aiden like that. I told him over the summer before eighth grade and he confessed to liking me to. We became official boyfriends during the third month of eighth grade. First kiss one month later.
As I was going through my mental reenactment of Aiden and I’s romantic history, Alice and Tom told us all about there’s. Turns out that when Alice was supposed to go to Italy, she ended up in Germany because of plan change and as it happened, she stayed close to where Tom was. So, they ended up spending the entire summer together, just the two of them. So, by the time they got back, they were boyfriend/girlfriend.
Tom started walking over towards the swings, “ah, I remember these things.”
Aiden, Alice, and I joined him on the swings. Alice brought her hands up to the swing she had always used, her eyes deeply showed all the memories that were echoing through her head at this very moment.
“Wow…” Her voice trailed off.
For Aiden and I there was no nostalgia factor because he lived by here, we still spent some days hanging out at the park.
We ended up spending the entire day at the park together, that is, until it got dark. About eight ‘o clock, Aiden let out a yawn from where he was seated on top of my lap. Dragging my feet, I slowed the swing to a stop with my arms wrapped around Aiden’s tiny body.
“I guess we should probably go home,” I said standing up.
They all nodded in agreement and we started on our way home.
♠ ♠ ♠
See? I told you guys it would be getting longer?
Is anyone liking this?
Comments please?