This Moment Is Perfect

A Secret Place

CHAPTER SIX
A Secret Place

I walked out the door and the sun was shining brighter than ever before. Well at least that’s what it seemed like to me. My headphones were in my ears as I listened to ‘You’re Beautiful’ by James Blunt; my first memory of Jakob. I walked down a few streets and made a right into a grassy forest type place; my first memory of Jakob and I being together as a couple. We called it our ‘secret place’.
-Flashback-
I swung on the swing at the park and sung to myself as I thought about life, and what I would be doing and where I would be in ten years from then. Little things ran through my head like, being a musician- which I wanted to be so damn bad, or a video director. And I thought about whether or not I would be married? And if so, who I would be married to? Who would still be my friends in ten years? Suddenly, my thoughts were stopped by a text message that read;
Hi Adia,
It’s Jakob. I was wondering if you wanted to catch up today. Its okay if you don’t I was just wondering. Anyway, let me know.
From Jakob.

I smiled as I read the text message, I instantly hit reply.
Heyy Jakob.
Sure I’d love to do something; I’m at the park at the moment. Where would you like to meet?
Love Adia.

It was not long before I got a text back.
How about at the service station at the end of your street?

Perfect. See you soon.

Okay see you in about ten minutes.

I was only about five minutes from the service station- but I was kind of excited about seeing Jakob so I started walking down… Well- skipping. I sat outside the service station on the grass and waited. I constantly looked up from the grass to see whether Jakob was coming yet. The five minutes seemed like a lifetime. I knew that I liked Jakob. And I knew it was more than just a friendly ‘I like you’. I saw Jakob walk down the street and I couldn’t help but get up and walk- as much as I wanted to run- over to him. I could not wipe the smile off my face.
“Hey Jakob,” I said as I approached him.
“Hey, I got you this.” Jakob said, holding out a rose in his hand.
“Oh my god, thankyou; Roses are my favourite.” I smelt the flower. “And this one smells great.”
“So where do you want to go?”
“Well it’s up to you.”
“No, no. You pick.”
“How about we go back to the park? We can go on the swings.”
“Sure.”
We walked along and still the smile stayed on my face. Jakob’s face seemed to glow as he was also smiling, and talking. He just couldn’t stop. But it was cute how he was trying to impress me with his French and talking about his family and how much they wanted to meet me. I was shocked that he had told his family about me.
“Anyway,” he said, finally taking a breath. “Your turn, I’m probably boring the life out of you.”
“No I think it’s kinda cute actually.”
Jakob’s face turned a bright shade of red. We walked in silence for a moment before we both went,
“So… Oh sorry. You go- I mean- you-“
We both just laughed and walked up the hill to the swing where I sat before. Jakob pushed me as he continued talking.
“I have to stop talking now, please I beg you to speak.”
“Okay, but I must warn you. I won’t stop either.”
“I’m sure your voice is so much better than mine anyways.”
“Pfft- I wish.”
I did not speak much but I told him basically about little things like my favourite colour and my favourite bands and things like that.
“So uhh, did you want to go for a walk?” I said, curiously. I just wanted to hold his hand, or hug him or kiss him. I just- I really liked him.
“Sure,”
We walked along the grass and headed into something like a forest. We lied down on the hill under a tree.
“Is it okay if I rest my head on you?”
“Yeah,”
We sat there and I looked up at the sky through the tops of the trees and watched the birds fly by. I turned my head and looked at Jakob, his green eyes shining brightly. I was feeling nervous, trying to be so perfect- because I knew he was worth it and I kissed him. For that one moment I was far, far away… somewhere I’d never ever been before.
We looked each other in the eyes and suddenly I felt all nervous.
“I’m sorry, you probably didn’t want to-“
“No its fine,” Jakob said, kissing me again. “I’ve wanted to do it for so long anyway.”
I gave a smile.
“I really like you; a lot.”
“I kinda figured. You did just kiss me.” He laughed.
“Right,”
“I really like you a lot too.”
“I kinda figured. You did just kiss me back.” I teased.
“So listen, I was wondering if maybe- you wanted to be my girlfriend.”
“I’d love that.” I smiled again and grabbed his hand.
-End of flashback-
I sat down in the exact spot we had that day and lied on the grass, looking up at the sky. I laughed as I thought about how much he couldn’t stop talking as much as he tried. Damn it I missed him. Suddenly I remembered what Joey said to me and I turned my phone on. I had twenty text messages from Storm and a few from my mum.
I read through them- mostly saying how worried they were and that I needed to pick up the phone.
I called mum.
“Hey mum, it’s Adia.”
“Oh thank god. How are you?”
“Good today- better. Im sorry I didn’t answer my phone or reply to your text messages.”
“It’s okay, as long as I know you’re alright. I wish I could come and visit you.”
“Yeah me too,”
“So what have you been up to?”
“Staying in bed and crying- and having nightmares.”
“Oh Adia,”
“I know. But Joey had a talk to me this morning and I agreed with him that I do need to get out and do something.”
“Good. Where are you going?”
“Well, I’m out at the moment at the park, just getting some fresh air. Later Claudia is going to take me out somewhere.”
“Okay, well I hope you feel better soon. It is hard but I just want you to know I’m here if you need to talk okay?”
“Okay thanks mum, I really need it right now.”
“Listen gorgeous- I have to go. But if you want to talk later give me a call.”
“Okay talk later mum. I love you.”