Don't Believe Everything You Hear

Chapter 13

"Are you serious?" I whined, staring up at the house.

"What's your problem?" he asked me.

"Oh trust me, you'll see," I mumbled. He looked at me oddly. "Give it a little while, and you will see," I repeated. He nodded, still looking at me weirdly.

"Whatever, weirdo," he laughed. I sighed and followed him into the house. "My friend isn't home yet, he'll be here in, oh I'd say five minutes," he laughed and started to walk out of the house.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"Well, I sort of left my friend at school," he laughed.

"Nice," I rolled my eyes.

"I'll be back in a few minutes, just sit down and be happy. And I expect to see the house standing when I get back," he said warningly.

"Aye aye captain," I said, sitting down on the couch. He walked out of the house. I looked around at all of the photos and such and sighed. I rolled off the couch and looked up at the ceiling. After what seemed like five minutes I heard the door open and foot steps walk through the house.

"Where'd she go?" I heard Caleb go.

"Down here," I called from the floor. There were steps walking over to me and soon enough I saw Caleb standing over me, holding out his hand. I took it and he pulled me up to my feet. I looked down and my feet and sighed.

"Selena, this is-" Caleb was abruptly cut off.

"Are you kidding me?" Austin yelled. "Why do you keep coming back?"

"Like I can help it," I yelled back to him. "I can't help that most of the people will talk to me end up being your friends," I complained.

"Are you trying to ruin my life?" he rambled.

"No I'm not, but it just so happens to work out like that!" I yelled.

"Why can't you get your own friends?" he asked.

"I'm not even sure if I'd call Caleb a friend, I've talked to him twice in my life! One time he said a few words and then ran off to wherever. He's my partner, and I have to be here," I told him, not much calmer.

"Why can't you-" he stopped, sighing angrily. He threw his hat across the room and stomped off into his room, just to come out a second later, pick up his hate, glare at me, and then stomp back into his room. I sighed.

"Maybe we should work at your house," Caleb said. I nodded and sighed again. I picked up my stuff and walked out to the car while Caleb went to talk to Austin.

While waiting out in Caleb's car, I was staring out the window. I had taken a major habit to doing that here in Texas. Just staring up at the bright skies of Texas makes everything seem to go away.

"So, he's calmed down a bit," Caleb sighed. "I've never seen him that upset before," he told me.

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I seem to have that effect on him," I said, still staring out the window. He turned on the car and started to drive off down the street. I watched blankly as the scenery changed and passed.

"Don't take it personally," he said to me, after a moment's pause.

"How do I not take that personally?" I asked calmly.

"I don't know, just. don't," he told me.

"Yeah, we'll see how that works out." I sighed.

"Okay, let's go," Caleb said, I had just now noticed that we were pulled up to my house. I nodded and got out of the car. He trailed behind me in the front door.

"Who's there?" Jonathan yelled, sounding scared. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"It's just me." I called back to him.

"Why are you here?" he asked. I walked into the living room and sat down next to him on the couch. Caleb sat down on the other side of me.

"Austin wasn't too happy to see me," I told him.

"Why did Austin see you?" he asked.

"Caleb lives with him," I sighed.

"So you're still having problems with Austin?" Jonathan asked. I just nodded.

"Do you have any clue why?" Caleb asked me. I shrugged.

"He said something about he didn't want to be teased by his friends anymore," I sighed.

"Oh no, his friends are jerks," Caleb sighed. "They're nice to Austin, but they expect Austin to be mean and hate everybody else," he sighed.

"Aren't you one of his friends?" I asked.

"Not during school apparently," Caleb sighed. "Have you ever seen me talk to him at all before this?" I shook my head. "That's my point."

"Why does he hang out with them?" I asked.

"I don't know, he's admitted that they're jerks, but he just won't quit hanging out with them. He's such a nice guy and can't genuinely hate anybody, the reason is beyond me." He sighed again. "If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to tell you," he smiled at me. I nodded and sighed again as well.

"I'll be right back," I announced, "I'm gonna change my pants," I said. "I don't like sitting around in jeans," I laughed. Everybody nodded.

"So," I heard Jonathan start, "About that question…"

"Jonathan! Don't ask that question!" I yelled at him.

"I thought you were gonna change pants!" he yelled back.

"You should have waited until I was out of hearing distance! Don't, and I repeat DO NOT ask that question!" I yelled into him.

"Fine, I won't ask the question," he yelled back. I sighed and went up into my room, changing quickly into pajama pants and pulling on a sweat shirt. I had suddenly got really cold. I walked back downstairs and saw Caleb sitting on the couch with a mortified look on his face.

"You asked him, didn't you?" I asked Jonathan.

"He wanted to know," he said defensively.

"What will I ever do with you," I joked. We both laughed and I sat on the coffee table in front of Caleb.

"Caleb, how many fingers am I holding up?" I asked.

"Fingers aren't important, why would you ask that?" he asked, turning to Jonathan.

"You wanted to know," Jonathan defended again.

"You didn't have to tell me." Caleb said back to him.

"I don't like keeping secrets," Jonathan laughed. Caleb shook his head and sighed.

"That was messed up," Caleb exclaimed.

"You did want to know," I said, patting Caleb's back.

"Remind me to never want to know again," he sighed.

"Look on the Brightside, we've killed half an hour already," I laughed nervously.

"Now we just have thirty two hours and fifteen minutes left," he said in fake excitement.

"Thank heavens that it started as he told us about the project, and not at a certain time…actually, no, that's worse."

"I know, because we've been awake all day, and then we have to stay awake for another thirty six hours," Caleb sighed.

"That sucks," Jonathan laughed. "I'm glad I had Mr. Arsa for health when I had to take it," he laughed. I hit him with one of the couch pillows.

"Ow, meany," he whined.

I laughed a bit. "Coming from the person who scarred Caleb for life," I laughed.

"He'll get over it eventually,"

"I don't know man…" Caleb trailed off. "That was pretty sick,"

"It's just because you're a sophomore, just wait awhile, you'll understand," he said.

"I understand now," Caleb shot back calmly, "and that's why it's gross." He laughed.

"Fine, so maybe you're scarred for life, it'll be fine," Jonathan said laughing creepily.

"I think he's lost it," Caleb said in an amazed tone, staring weirdly and Jonathan.

"I don't think he ever found it," I said in the same way.

"I resent that," Jonathan whined.

"Don't you have to go be sick," I asked sarcastically. He faked a cough before glaring at me and leaving the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I was going to put part of this in Austin's point of view
but then I decided against it
I figured that you guys shouldn't know what Austin is thinking just yet
You have to go on impressions and such.

Anyways, that was interesting...and kind of retarded
not the point
thanks for reading