Don't Believe Everything You Hear

Chapter 20

"Selena!" I heard my name being yelled. I turned around to see Kyle running to catch up with me. I laughed as he ran into person after person, almost running into a tree in the process too.

"Are you walking home with me today?" I asked him.

"If you don't mind," he said. "If you do, I'm sure I can keep running and catch up with Jonathan, he walks like a dying snail," he laughed.

"I'm not sure about a dying snail, but I'm pretty sure he got a detention, so he probably hasn't made it too far by now," I laughed.

"What'd he get a detention for? I've never seen Jonathan do anything that was bad enough for a detention," Kyle laughed.

"He was talking in class, and his teacher didn't like that," I laughed. "Does that sound like something he'd do?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's exactly like something he'd do." Kyle laughed. "So…" Kyle started, whistling a bit.

"So…what?" I asked.

"Um, never mind," he laughed.

"What were you gonna ask?" I asked him.

"Nothing important," he laughed.

"Just tell me," I whined.

"You won't like it, so I probably shouldn't say it," he laughed again.

"You're not gonna like it, and you'll just get angry," he said.

"Then why would you say anything about it?" I whined.

"Well, I kind of wanted to aggravate you for awhile, but I figured it'd be in my best interest not to," he said calmly.

"So you aggravate me like this instead?" I asked him, laughing. Just like Kyle.

"Um…yep," he laughed. "So how's lover boy?" I groaned.

"Is that what you were gonna ask before?" I groaned.

"Pretty much, yeah, so how is he?" he repeated his question.

"Who is he?" I asked. "I don't even know."

"I'm not at liberty to discuss this," he said with a straight face. It was slightly strange.

"What are you, a secret agent?" I asked him, laughing.

"Maybe I am. What if I have a secret life that nobody knows about?" he said.

"Yeah, and I helped Abraham Lincoln end the Civil War," I said, sarcastically.

"Wow, you're old," Kyle laughed. I just rolled my eyes.

"Why can't you guys give me a name to this 'lover boy'?" I asked.

"Because, you wouldn't get it, and besides, what fun would Jonathan and I have if we told you that?" I rolled my eyes.

"What about reading a book?" I said.

"Too boring,"

"Playing some video games,"

"I've beaten all of them,"

"Buy some more," I told him.

"I'm broke," he laughed.

"Get a job,"

"I'd rather not," he laughed again.

"Get Jonathan to buy you video games then," I said. "He's already got a job,"

"Yeah, but he has terrible taste in video games," I said.

"You're impossible, you know that?" I said to him.

"So I've been told," he rolled his eyes. "This is my stop," he said and ran into his house.

I sighed and kept walking alone. I ended up taking the long way on accident and it took me about twenty minutes to get home from Kyle's house. When I got home, I didn't expect to see anything out of the ordinary.

That's until I saw Austin sitting on my front porch.

"Dude, what are you doing?" I yelled to him, as I walked up the sidewalk to the porch.

"Um, I'm just sitting here," he said. "Waiting for you," he added. I looked at him weirdly. He stood up from off of the porch.

"Why, may I ask, are you waiting for me?" I asked.

"I don't my math homework," he said, holding up his book. "I was sort of wondering if you'd help me, if you don't mind" he said, kicking a little pebble into the planter. I looked at him skeptically.

"Yeah, sure, I'll help you," I said to him, gesturing for him to go inside.

"What takes you so long to get home?" he asked me.

"Um, I took the long way," I said.

"You mean you got lost?" he asked.

"No, I took an unnecessary detour," I said, laughing nervously.

"Hmm, okay sure," he said, rolling his eyes.

These were the kind of times where I enjoyed Austin's company. When he could just laugh and joke around. He was being himself, not who his jerky friends expect him to be. I liked it.

"So, let's go work on math," I said excitedly. "Wow, that's nerdy," I said.

"Aw, but it's cute," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know.
There's only so much to expect from somebody who's spend the last five days watching marathons.
yeah, it's kinda weird

Anyways, thanks for reading
Thanks for being rad
Thanks for something, I'm sure