The Unprotected

Chapter 5

“Good morning, boys.” Linnet stated cheerfully as the boys entered the kitchen. Rion yawned and stretched his aching muscles. Joban did the same, sitting heavily.
“You both had a pretty savage fight last night. I was still listening to you whacking each other with those toys when I fell asleep.”
Linnet handed Rion the money for her flour then went out side to begin her daily routine of work. Joban ground the sleep out of his eyes and rested his elbows on the table, resting his head in his hands. Rion sat down and gazed lazily at Joban, taking the advantage to have a good look at him while his head was bowed. One of Jobans’ white arm-length sleeves was slipping down his arm, while the other was sandwiched between his hand and head. His jet-black hair was smooth and silky-looking and the colour matched his pants, which were also black. Much to Rion’s guilt, there on his brother’s revealed arm was a cut. While they were sparring, Rion had somehow got his brother on to the ground and in to the mud, where unfortunately there were a few sharp rocks. It was not until after they had gone back inside, took baths and were heading for their beds when Joban realised he had a cut on his arm, where he vaguely remembered pulling out some sort of object after Rion had permitted him to get out of the mud.
“Why’d you have to hit me so hard?” complained Rion, breaking the silence.
“I was just about to ask you the same question. I guess we fight better with the medallions around our necks. Maybe now we should improve our defending and blocking skills.”
“So, when do you want to leave for town?” asked Rion, getting bored watching his brother eat.
Joban drummed his fingers on the table and stared out the window, “We should leave soon. You can saddle the horses if you want.”
“Okay, I’ll go saddle up since I’m not really hungry. Meet you at the stables in a few minutes.” Rion got up to leave.
“Rion! At least have this,” Joban threw Rion a biscuit.
Rion caught it and smiled, “At least I have a caring, loving brother to look out for me,” Rion said sarcastically, fluttering his eyelids.
“I’d get before I become the evil, uncaring brother, who beats his twin for jabbing a rock in his arm!” Joban said, throwing a cloth at Rion.
Rion blushed, “That was an accident!” He threw the cloth back at Joban, “I didn’t know the mud had rocks in it!”
“Sure, sure. I forgive you. It didn’t hurt anyway.”
Rion stepped in to the barn, still eating his biscuit.
“Hello Tiya, Teell.” He said, stroking the mares.
Tiya was his horse, and Teell was Joban’s horse. Tiya was a strong brown and white mare with a white mane and a brown tail. Teell was a beautiful black and bronze mare with a black mane and tail. Rion and Joban had owned Tiya and Teell since they were young; they had learned to ride on them, their two wonderful horses.
Rion fed the remains of his biscuit to Tiya, then fetched the saddles. As soon as he finished preparing the horses, Joban entered the barn carrying Rion’s riding boots.
“Oh thanks. I forgot about those.” Rion slipped off his shoes and hurriedly put his riding boots on.
Teell stamped her hooves impatiently; obviously she was ready and waiting to go. Joban stroked her neck and led her out side. Rion followed and they mounted.
Joban galloped ahead of Rion, so Rion decided to take out his medallion. It was so beautiful and old; he admired it, taking note of how it caught the sun light as he held it in his hand. Rion longed to escape the farm, but his mother he would miss. His father had died long ago, when he and Joban were only 10 years old. Rion was unsure about the Silverkeep School, the village, the army and especially Foron. He and Joban were fairly good fighters, but he wasn’t sure if they were the right people to go. He didn’t believe in any prophecy, the elderly usually talked rubbish where he lived, so why believe others? Suddenly, Joban interrupted his thoughts,
“Oi, Rion!” he called, “C’mon, you’re like a snail, hurry up!”
Rion slipped the medallion back in to his shirt and galloped up next to Joban.
“Sorry, I was just thinking about Foron said, about the school – Silverkeep. The army, the ‘prophecy’, what about Mum?”
Joban stared ahead, looking at the dirt road, the cows and the plants.
“Rion, I see this as a brilliant opportunity, to do great things, to make Mum proud. To help the people, children, adults, old people.”
Rion glanced at Joban,
“Is that all?”
“Well, yeah. Not only will we be helping everyone, creatures and animals included, but just imagine how many brilliant skills we will learn!” Joban grinned, “That convince you?”
“Of course, Joban. Very well said,” Rion quipped, “Now c’mon I can see West Citadel.”