‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 1

"That beeping has to stop." I mumbled into my pillow. I heard a chuckle next to me, and felt arms snake around my body. I rolled over and became face to face with Jimmie.

"Good morning," He said pecking me on the lips.

"Morning," I mumbled trying to fall back asleep. His lips started trailing down my neck.

"Time for you to go to work."

"I don' wanna." He laughed again.

"I'm sorry but you have to." I whined once more, and got out of my bed.

I stretched and walked into my bathroom. I brushed my teeth and hair, and I washed my face. I stepped out of my bathroom still in my pajamas, so I went back into my room to change. Jimmie wasn't there, but I knew he was in the kitchen. I changed into black skinny jeans and a white tank top with a black jacket with white pinstripes over it. I left my bedroom and walked into the kitchen. Jimmie was there fully dressed with two cups of coffee. I took one cup from him and smiled.

"Thank you."

"No problem hon," I took gulps of the coffee eager to get the caffeine in my system. When I was done with the coffee I put the cup in the sink.

"I'm leaving." He smiled.

"You need a ride?"

"No I'm fine. It's your day off."

"Alright," He said and gave me a kiss goodbye.

I left my apartment and headed outside. I got into my car and headed to work. I turned on my radio and put a demo CD in. It was from Epitaph by a band called I Am Ghost. I turned up the volume up and danced in my car when stuck at a red light. You couldn't really dance to I Am Ghost, but I always find a way. I arrived at work and headed straight to my office.

"Morning Madz," Joshua said as I walked out of the elevator.

"Morning to you too Josh, anything planned for today?"

"Like you don't know, I Am Ghost is here. You're gonna love them. They're such cool guys."

"I wanted to be surprised." I joked smiling.

"Well I'm sorry. Hurry up though; they should be getting here in-"

"Madison are you ready?" I whipped around and saw my boss tapping her foot impatiently.

"Now," Josh whispered under his breath making a stifled laugh make its way out of my mouth. Ellen, my boss, glared at the both of us. She had five boys behind her that must have been I Am Ghost.

"Let me just get my camera Ellen." I said and turned around. I ran into my office and grabbed my whole bag. I came back out and Ellen was talking with one of the guys. I cleared my throat and she looked at me.

"Are you ready now?"

"Yes ma'am." I waved Josh goodbye and left the floor. We all got into a limo and headed to some place. I didn't know, but I was excited to see these guys. Their music was amazing.

"Madison is it? I'm Steve." The guy sitting closest to me said.

"You can call me Maddie. Nice to meet you," I shook his hand.

"Are you from here?"

"No, I'm actually from Chicago, but then I moved to Vegas where I met one of the owners of the label, and then I moved here."

"Madison please don't talk." Ellen said as she talked to the other members.

"Sorry," Steve whispered to me. The car stopped and we all got out. We were at a beach. We walked to the shore where I set up as Ellen interviewed them. I would look at them and notice Steve looking off into the distance uninterested. I smiled and wiped the sand off my hands. I stood up and walked over to them.

"Madison, I am done with them." Ellen told me.
"Go and do your job."

She got up from her chair and walked back to the limo.

"How was your interview?" I asked them.

"I have to say it was the most boring interview ever." Steve said.

"What I don't get it why the label is interview us." Someone else said. I didn't catch who it was, but I answered anyways.

"We want to so we can put it up on the site for people to read."

They all stood how they wanted to. I would tell them when to turn slightly or something. I took a few dozen pictures of them as a group, and then I did about a dozen portraits of each. Steve was the best. He knew how to have fun. He was goofy in all the pictures except one. Ellen came back and shooed us all back to the limo. I sat next to Steve again and we quietly talked the whole way back.

I was back in my office going through the best pictures on my computer. It was about ten at night, and I was the only person there left on my floor. I was just about done when I heard some footsteps from outside. My mind got the best of me and I started thinking of the worst case scenarios. I shut down my computer and closed it. I got my bag and light jacket and walked to the door.

Most of the lights but two were off. I shut my office light off, and shut the door behind me. I walked slowly to the elevator. Before I passed the last desk a figure jumped out from behind it. I screamed and stumbled back. I looked at the figure rolling on the ground laughing.

"Steve you asshole!" I said from the ground. He stood up and walked to me.

"I'm sorry, but I had to do it. I'm glad I did. That was pretty priceless." He offered me his hand, and helped me up.

"Thanks," I muttered still mad.

"I'm going out and meeting up with some friends."

"That's nice." I said as we walked into the elevator.

"Yeah, we're touring with them. Well we were, tomorrow is the last day. You should go."

"I'll see if the label will let me take off, and see if I can get tickets."

"You work for the label. I'm sure you can. You also know the owner so I'm sure it would fine if you took a day off."

"We'll see."

"You want to come tonight?"

"Nah, I have to get home. I'm starving and tired. If you want me to come tomorrow I have to be well rested."

"Then I will see you tomorrow. You have my number!" He called as he walked the opposite way that I was walking.

"Bye Steve!" I called as I got into my car.