‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 17

"Madison," I heard my name being called loudly. I turned over in my bed and slowly opened my eyes. Jimmie was standing near his side of the bed with his arms across his chest. I took a deep breath in and breathed it out. I looked up at him again.

"Hey Jim," I said finally.

"What is that drunk doing on your couch?"

"Would you prefer him in my bed?" I asked sarcastically, which wasn't such a great move on my part.

"No Madison I wouldn't."

"What's your problem Jimmie?" I asked sitting up.

"Why do you think there's something wrong with me?" He questioned walking from my room. I got off my bed and chased him.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You should know what that means. You've been acting like a true bitch since you've come back from Vegas."

"I've been acting weird? You're the one who leaves at ungodly hours to go only God knows where."

"Are you accusing me of something?"

"I am not!"

"Is that why you bring this fucktard to your apartment? Not to mention you're wearing something pretty trashy. Did you put it on just for him?" I looked down at my shorts and tank top. How that was trashy was beyond me.

"Don't you dare talk about him like that!" I shot at him.
"He is twice the man you'll ever be! Get out of my fucking apartment!" I screamed. He walked towards me.

"I would love too." He whipped around and nearly ran to my front door.

"Good! Get the fuck out and never come back!" He slammed the door and I turned to my right to see Ronnie sitting on the couch. I hadn't even noticed he was awake and listening to the whole conversation.

"I'm sorry Maddie." He said.

"Don't be Ronnie," I said sitting next to him.
"The relationship between Jimmie and I was going to end soon anyways."

He looked up at me and smiled. He looked around the bright living room and back at me. With no second thought in his mind he leaned in and kissed my cheek and then hugged me. I hugged him tightly back feeling myself become more and more vulnerable. I pulled away and stood up.

"I'm going to go back to bed. Do you think you can handle not destroying anything?"

"Yes ma'am!" He saluted. I laughed and walked to my room with Poe trailing behind me. I shut my bedroom door behind me and sprawled out on my bed. Poe jumped up on the bed and laid on my stomach. Friends and Alibis filled my room and I got up to fetch my phone. It was Max and I instantly picked up.

"Yo yo yo," I said quickly into the phone.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I had this weird feeling that something was off over there."

"That's pretty strange."

"Or it could be that Ronnie just called me off your house phone."

"That sounds reasonable."

"What happened over there? I take it you haven't talked to Ronnie yet."

"No I haven't. Jimmie came over, and we got into this explosive fight. Then we broke up."

"Are you alright Madz?"

"I'm fine. I feel quite relieved actually."

"If you need anyone Ronnie is there, and I know he's dying for you."

"Dying?"

"You know what I mean, and I could always be down by you in an hour if you need me too."

"Thanks Max but I think I'll be alright. I want to go to sleep though since my previous sleep session was ruined."

"Alright I'll let you sleep. Bye Maddie."

"Bye Max."

I hung up the phone and fell asleep very quickly. My dreams consisted of twisted images and myself running away. Why am I always running?