You're in Vampire Country, Now

When Our Cars Collide

I was fifteen when it all started.

As a plain Jane from Dallas, Texas I wasn’t really all that psyched to go to New Orleans to look at freaky Vampire paraphernalia with my cousin. We were driving miles and miles of endless road just to get a hotel, look at some fake, boring crap, and then turn right around and go back home. I loved my cousin, she was like a sister to me, but man she liked freaky shit.

I looked out at the ever-blackening sky and sighed. I just knew this trip was going to suck, though it was great to get out of the hellhole people named Dallas. As soon as we had reached the city limits it started to rain buckets and it hadn’t let up since. Luckily we were close to Shreveport and it would only be another two-hour drive from there.

“What are you sighing about, Sorrow?” Kayla asked. “This is going to be fun…and you know how much I usually hate fun.” I couldn’t help but smile. All, well, my friends called me Sorrow. My real name was Sara, but I hated it and someone started calling me Sorrow anyway so it stuck.

“Yeah…maybe…but what is your fascination with Vampires anyway?” I knew that deep down she really wanted to be a Vampire, but there was quite obviously no way that was ever happening.

“I don’t know…” She said, zoning out briefly. “Maybe its their eyes…maybe their skin…” She inhaled deeply.

“Yeah but…they’re not real.” Kayla’s eyes narrowed. There was a long silence. “Sorry…” I said eventually. Kayla shook her head, her piercings clanging together.

“Its nothing… Seriously though, we are going to have a great time. Like we did when we were kids.” I nodded and smiled, suddenly wishing I’d never made the ‘they’re not real’ comment.

“So, what do you want to listen to?” I asked, pulling out my black CD case.

“Whatcha’ got?” She asked, checking out her black eye shadow in the mirror. I flipped through the case.

“Uhh…Dead Kennedys, Nirvana, Evanescence, Wolfmother, From First To Last, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure-”

“Alright, you can stop there.” She laughed, “Just put in whatever you want.” I went with Ozzy, because it was dark enough for the both of us. We sped down the interstate, me singing and head banging to Paranoid, and Kayla seeming to at least enjoy the music.

An hour and a half later we were listening to some crazy Goth band that she wanted to listen to. I tapped my foot to the beat of the drums and bass, and tried to at least pretend that I loved it. At first I thought it was apart of the music, but I heard a sharp ear piercing noise and the twisting of metal, and felt something slam hard against the right side of my body. Everything went black.