You're in Vampire Country, Now

Did You Get What You Deserve?

Sorrow’s P.O.V.

Jen was on the stone, cellar floor, and a small pool of blood had formed around her head. From what I could tell she was unconscious but she was till breathing. Frank and Bob had pulled out cloths and wrapped them around her head. I guess they expected something like this to happen. Mikey and I stood, shocked. I couldn’t believe Gerard had done it, neither of us could. We absolutely couldn’t believe it…but he had. He had done it, and he had had the right to do it. Tater and Ray began to advance on Gerard, who was up and mumbling something inaudible. As soon as Ray grabbed Gerard and held his hands behind his bare back, Gerard started screaming hoarsely, in some bizarre foreign language, something that, to me, sounded like a curse. Tater merely laughed started to taunt him.

“You bastard, don’t you know you deserve this?” She whispered in his ear. She circled around him, dragging four needles across his bare chest. To my surprise she drew blood. Gerard stopped screaming and struggling. Instead he stood perfectly still, his eyes beginning to glaze over. “First Ray, then Matt, then Frankie, and now Jen?” She stood directly in front of him and pointed the needles toward his heart. He began to struggle again as she pressed harder and harder, but Ray held on to him. “I believe this calls for the death penalty, don’t you?” She grinned wickedly, twisting hard.

“NO!” I screamed involuntarily. Everyone turned and stared at me, even Tater. I hadn’t yelled since I was there, in fact I really didn’t speak much, so it must have come as a surprise. I turned crimson and tried to leave the room, wanting to get away from it all, but as soon as I turned around I ran into someone.

I looked up to see Chloe who, with the candle light shining behind her, looked like some sort of black-clad savior, glaring at each and every one of us. “Go ahead,” She said quietly, “You don’t deserve to watch this.”

Chloe’s P.O.V.

I appeared in the doorway just as Sorrow was trying to leave the horrible scene that was unfolding in Gerard’s room. I stared at all of them, Jen, who’s head had been gashed open, was laying on the floor, being bandaged up by Frank and Bob. Ray had his arms wrapped tightly around Gerard, though he didn’t look like he was enjoying holding Gerard down, who was bleeding from four jagged lines across his chest. Tater had four needles stuck into Gerard’s chest, and I could tell he was in an immense amount of pain. As soon as he saw me, the tears that had been waiting to come out, did. “Go ahead, you don’t deserve to watch this.” I said to Sorrow, willing for her to run as fast as she could away from this monstrosity. Sorrow burst into tears and ran out of the room. I would have taken more time to feel bad for her, which I did, but I had other business to tend to.

I cocked an eyebrow. Waiting for someone to say something. I walked slowly into the room, my black boots clacking against the stone floor, and right up to where Tater and Ray were standing, holding Gerard captive. I looked straight at Gerard, who was desperately trying to keep himself under control. I sighed and shook my head.

“So?” Tater said, trying to sound as confident as she had been just moments before, “Finally come to join us?” She laughed slightly. I stared at her, un-amused, and she stopped. Since no one else was saying anything, I did.

“Let him go.” I said calmly, but for as calm as I was, I knew I was going to lose it very, very quickly. Ray looked from me to Tater, to Jen to Frank, to Gerard and then back to me. I looked right into his eyes and said once more, “Let him go.” Ray made a face. I guessed that he was trying to figure out who was more dangerous, Tater or me. Tater had weapons and I didn’t, but weapon or no weapon, we were equally matched. And Ray’s afro wouldn’t be hard to rip off. “Come on,” I growled impatiently, “before you hurt yourself.” Ray sighed and let him go.

“FUCK, RAY!” Tater screeched. As soon as Ray stepped back Gerard shoved Tater, with all of his strength, away from him and she went flying, tripping over Jen who was sprawled out next to Gerard’s bed. It was quite comical, but no one was laughing. Gerard was now crying freely, I grabbed his arm and jerked him out of his room.

I decided that I would ask the others about Jen’s injury later; besides, I knew they were in no mood to talk to me, maybe Ray, Bob, and Mikey, but that’s it. After all, I was on the traitor’s side. I took a good look at Gerard’s scratches in the candlelight that illuminated the cellar. Aside from the fact that he was shaking and completely freaking out inside he looked like he was going to be fine. I looked at him, and it killed me to see him hurting so much. I didn’t plan to intervene, but when I looked at Gerard and thought about the situation inside, I was glad I did. I wanted to hug Gerard, to just let him know that it’s okay and whatnot, but I knew that if I did I would more than likely pass out from his stench. Then again, what should I have expected from a male who’s been locked up for the past week? I took a deep breath and hugged him, and I let him hug me back. When my breath ran out I pulled away and took one last look at him and grabbed his hand. “Alright,” I sighed, coughing a little, “Let’s get you cleaned up.”

Gerard’s P.O.V.

Chloe led me out of my room and into the cellar. I couldn’t help but wonder why she’d come to save me. After the shit I’d done to Frank, I wouldn’t even save me.

I suppose I never truly knew how horribly horrified of needles I was until that episode, because as soon as she led me out of the room I just knew I was going to have a mental breakdown of some sort. I was shaking uncontrollably and I couldn’t keep myself from crying. The scene that had just unfolded kept playing and playing in my head, and my chest was stinging more and more. I just thought that at any minute I was just going to freak out and go bat-shit crazy on everyone in that room. Except for Chloe and Mikey, of course. At least, I thought that until Chloe hugged me. I suddenly forgot about everything and all I could do was hug her back and wish for her to never let go. Of course she did let go, but then she grabbed my hand, which was just as good, and led me up the stairs.

We went up two flights of stairs and through the kitchen. Eventually we got to the maids’ quarter and Chloe asked Genevieve for some warm cloths to be brought up to her room. “Oui!” Genevieve said, and she was off.

We went up the remaining flight of stairs and walked down the endlessly long hallway, finally getting to Chloe’s room. “This place really needs to be smaller…” I heard her mumble as she let go of my hand and shut her bedroom door. I always thought her bedroom was the most beautiful. It was black, like the rest of the house, but the walls were covered in paintings of all of us. Paintings that I did, paintings that she did, paintings that someone else did, it didn’t matter; she just loved them. Her bed was black and sapphire; in fact, anything in her room that wasn’t black was sapphire. She’d always loved that color. While she led me to her bathroom, I noticed that she had a couple of the dresses I’d made her laying out on her bed. One of them was black with a sapphire band around the middle and along the bottom. The other was a violet dress with a black band and the black silhouettes of butterflies stitched on it.

In the bathroom we sat and waited for Genevieve to show up with the towels. I looked at myself in the mirror and was even more horrified than usual at what I saw. The rings around my eyes had gotten even darker and my skin was even whiter, it almost looked yellow-ish. I was now all skin and bones and I looked as if I were deathly ill. Chloe stepped up next to me and smiled a little. “You don’t look that bad.” She said, noting my horrified expression. “Though, you do look like you need some sun.” I laughed a little.

“My god, I look horrible.” I said, shaking my head.

“No…how long has it been since you fed, Gee?” Gee. Holy crap, she hasn’t said that in forever.

“I don’t know…a week maybe…” I mumbled, realizing that I needed to feed.

“Look, how about after you clean up we go feed? Unless you’re tired, than we can just go tomorrow. Though, I don’t recommend going back downstairs, you never know what Vanessa’s capable of. Vanessa was Tater’s real name. Tater had only been a vampire for twenty years at that point. We turned her in 1986. She’d always been crazy, but we liked her, she wasn’t like most humans. Too bad we couldn’t turn her back.

“Y-yeah…that’d be good.” I said, looking forward to getting out of the house and spending some time around Chloe. She smiled. There was a knock on the door. Genevieve had brought the towels.