You're in Vampire Country, Now

Inverted Vertigo

Gerard’s P.O.V.

I took a deep breath, inhaling the strangely intoxicating smells of the swamps. We had gone way outside of the forest that surrounded our mansion, but it didn’t matter. Chloe and I had already fed. We chose two homeless men sleeping in a vacant alleyway. We tried to make it as painless as possible, our feeding. Unless we were feeding on the guilty, then we made it as painful as possible. I really hated it, this curse, but there was nothing I could’ve done about it then, no, my chance for salvation was long gone.

But at that moment I didn’t care. All I wanted to do was be with Chloe, and that’s exactly what
I was getting. I moved closer to her, trying not to make it too obvious as to what I was doing.

I scratched at my chest casually and then winced as the four scars Tater had given me stung with pain.

“You okay?” Chloe asked, noticing the pained expression on my face. I nodded, sighing. As nice as being with Chloe was, I couldn’t seem to push the thoughts of what had happened that night out of my head.

“Thanks again for saving my ass…” I said, as I had said many, many times before.

“No problem, Gee.” Chloe replied, pulling her jacket tighter around her. “Damn it’s cold.” I laughed. We were in Lafayette, so it wasn’t cold at all…at least not to me…then again, Chloe had always gotten cold very, very easily.

“You want my jacket?” I asked. Chloe looked at me, hesitantly. I took my jacket off, revealing my thin, black, long-sleeved t-shirt, and I handed it to her. She took it and put it on.

“Thanks,” She sighed, as her shivering gradually stopped.

“Don’t worry about it,” I said, smiling to myself. “It’s the least I can do…”

“God…it’s going to be hell at the house.” Chloe mumbled, rolling her eyes.

“Y-yeah…”

“But I’ll make sure they don’t attack you again.” Chloe said, laughing slightly.

“Seriously, thank you. I know I keep saying it, but I really do mean it.” I stopped walking and turned to her.

“And it seriously is no problem.”

“Well…yeah…but I mean…it’s just…if I were you, I wouldn’t be helping me, you know?”

“Yeah, well, I am. So be glad.” She said, playfully punching my shoulder.

“I am, believe me, I am.” I said, smiling back. Without thinking I wrapped my arms around her. “You have no idea how glad I am…” I whispered. I don’t know how long we stood there, and frankly, I didn’t care. I was so glad just to be able to hold her again. Now, if only I could tell her…just how much she means to me…