You're in Vampire Country, Now

Die, Die My Darling

Mikey's P.O.V.

Long, tedious hours of gnawing on my nails. Waiting for Sorrow to burst out of her bedroom, screaming, wanting to kill me. Then again, she didn’t know. She can’t know. Kayla’s diary doesn’t say a damned thing about us killing her, it can’t have. I reasoned with myself over and over again until the door to the upstairs living room opened slowly. My heart sank. Sorrow looked as if she’d been crying for hours, which she probably had been. Her mascara was bleeding down her face and onto her clothes, and her lipstick was smeared. “Why?” She asked softly, through tears. And for a moment I thought that she knew. “Why did you show me this? My cousin lived through the car accident, but I saw her dead…what is this?” The room fell silent as we all stared at her. My heart began racing, for I knew the moment of truth was not far away.

“She did live through the car accident…yes.” Chloe said, giving me time to think of the right words to say. I couldn’t just say, Hey, I killed your cousin, sorry ‘bout that! “But-”

“We’re vampires…” I mumbled softly. Sorrow heard me and the shock of realization spread across her face. She bit her lip to keep herself from screaming. “Uh…it…it was a blood moon…” I stopped. I couldn’t tell her, I just couldn’t. I glanced at Gerard, willing him to carry on.

“Uh, yes, it was and…you see, vampires get this…horrible, relentless, thirst on blood moons and they are almost impossible to control. So, usually, if we don’t want to harm anyone, we lock ourselves up in a room or something. You were still unconscious, and we had locked your door to keep you safe. However, we couldn’t lock Kayla’s door ‘cause we didn’t want to give ourselves away. Well…Chloe, Frank, and I locked ourselves in the basement, and everyone else in various other places. And, well, Mikey…he…”

“I didn’t believe you. I didn’t believe Gerard when he said that I wouldn’t be able to control myself. I had never actually experienced a blood moon first hand, which is pretty hard to believe since I’ve been a vampire so long…I dunno…I just…wanted to feel normal, I guess…you and Kayla…were a blessing to me…I didn’t lock myself up…and when the moon rose…Kayla was right there and…she was so…human…” I heard Sorrow whimper. I stood up, I couldn’t stand to see her cry, and I tried to put my arms around her. She pushed me away. I felt as if she’d just stabbed me in the heart, and I, too, felt tears fall slowly down my face.

How could she love me?