You're in Vampire Country, Now

Truth

I was stunned. I felt incredibly sick. A jolt of pain ran through me as the words and sound of Gerard's haunting voice went around in my head over and over and over again. She didn’t make it…she…didn’t make it…didn’t…make it… All of them stared at me. Frank shuffled his feet uncomfortably, Chloe bit her lip, and Tater looked as if she were going to burst into tears. Gerard however, showed no emotion at all. Later, after the initial shock, it irked me quite a bit to see that he didn’t seem to give a damn. But that’s another story.

I stood next to the coffin, tears finally streaming down my face. I slid down to the floor. My hand traced the side of the coffin. I couldn’t bear it. I put my face in my hands and started to cry the heart shattering weep of a small child, lost and alone. Kayla meant everything to me. She was the only person in my family who tried to understand me, even if we did have our differences. She was the sister I never had, or rather, the sister I really wanted. I felt someone wrap their arms around me and somehow I knew it was Mikey. I buried my face in his chest and cried for what seemed like an eternity.

After hours of weeping into the kind stranger's chest, I stood up shakily, and bent over the dead body of my cousin. I kissed her forehead. "Goodbye."