Sometimes It's Just Too Late

Maybe It's Not Too Late

Scarlet came home with her eyes showing sorrow. "What's wrong babe?" I asked her. "Oh nothing. Here, Chantal told me to give this to you, I didn't read it" she said, handing me a note before heading to bed. "I'm tired, so I'm going to bed" she said. "Ok babe" I said as I went onto the deck. Lighting up a cigarette, I sat down on one of the chairs we had on the deck and proceeded to read the note that Scarlet had given me from Chantal.

'Corey,

I know…that we're no long on speaking terms with each other. I know that you probably hate me more then anyone you ever met. I know that whatever friendship we had is no longer there. You were always one of my best friends, making me feel better when others ripped me apart. I always thought of you as the fire that kept my will burning. Whenever I wanted to give up, you always fought to make me understand how important I was to you and the others. Then…you changed. A change that, at first, I didn’t understand. Soon enough it became clear what you were doing and I fought to make you understand. I guess I didn't fight hard enough, because you just pushed me aside and cut me deeper with your words then anyone else had. Maybe we're just not meant to be friends, I don't know. Today's graduation, even though you dropped out, I know you're still going to see your friends graduation, all of them…but me. I guess I can understand where you're coming from…although I never gave you any reason to turn against me.

Graduations over…you told me that I was dead to you. I guess I deserved that…I just want you to know…that I am…sorry, for whatever I've done. Left Behind…that was written about me, wasn’t it?

-Chris

P.S- You might remember the trinket taped to the paper and the CD with this…well, it's a song I wrote. Piano, remember? You used to love to hear me play…guess that's changed as well.'

I stopped reading the note looked at the trinket that she had taped to the paper. It was a cartoon looking skull that I had given her in 7th grade for her birthday. Taking it and the CD, I headed to the room that had my stereo and closed the door. Placing the CD in the stereo, I listened to the song start up. Reading the note again, I was surprised at how old this was and how tear stained it was but then my attention was turned to the stereo. A beautifully composed piano piece was flowing peacefully through the speakers. It brought back memories of better times and I couldn't help the smile that was growing on my face. 'How did she guess…that Left Behind….was about her?' I thought, not really understanding.

The door opened and I saw Scarlet standing there. "Beautiful music" she whispered. "Yeah, it is…I almost can't believe she composed this" I said, equally as soft. "Chris wrote this?" asked Scarlet, impressed. "Yes, she always did play piano. Her parents wanted her to, but she grew to love it" I explained. Scarlet came and sat beside me, looking at the note in my hands and the skull. "How old is that note?" she asked. "Old. It was written on the day of high school graduation…after I told her…that she was dead to me" I said, my tone slowly fading in the wind. Scarlet smiled and then put her head on my shoulder. "Maybe now you guys can patch things up? Judging by the tone of this song, it sounds…hopeful…yet…sad" she said. I looked down at her and nodded. "I'll work on fixing things. I want to…I feel terrible" I said. "Left behind? You wrote that about her?" asked Scarlet. "Yes, now I want to fix the mistakes I made" I said, standing up. "Where are you going?" she asked. "Over to Shawn's" I said before leaving the house, not catching the smirk on Scarlet's face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading. I'm sorry it's so short, well compared to the usual. The song that inspired this chapter was 'River Flows In You' by Yiruma. It's a beautifully composed piano piece that is also the song I imagined Chris to be playing on the CD. Please comment and subscribe