Take My Hand

Chapter Two

4th February 2005

“I’m sorry Abby, but I haven’t quite finished that cake you wanted. I might be able to get it done by Thursday, but I’m really snowed under here.” Maria confessed to Abigail.

“That’s alright dear, you just take your time. I do need it by Friday though. Anytime before then is fine.” The elderly lady in a lavender dress with a cream shall and gloves said.

Maria didn’t exactly like Abigail but she would tolerate her. The closest thing to a proper female role model in her life took place in a woman with a heart of ice. When Maria was 17 her mother died of a heart attack at the age of 53. It was shortly after she found her husband, Charley, cheating on her. He moved out after the funeral. Maria hasn’t heard a word from him since.

As Abigail reached the door, she turned to Maria.

“I know that this year will be hard for you, so please don’t hesitate to come and see me. I know a fine young psychiatrist who helps people in your situation.”

Maria smiles gingerly. It was 7th of February 2003 that her mother died. It wasn’t the easiest thing to come home to. Naturally, she blamed herself.

“Thank you for your concern but I will be fine.” With that Maria looks back down at the little cake she had been icing.

Almost two years now. There were some speculations and suspicions about how her mother really died, but all allegations were dropped after an autopsy confirmed the heart attack was simply from a bad lifestyle. Smoking and drinking in her early years, Catherine Williamson had vascular troubles all her life. What she didn’t realize what that the past always catches up with you. Unfortunately at the time of her death, no-one was there to help. Maria had been at school at the time, an after hours class, and her father could have been anywhere for all they know. It had been rocky for a while.

“You okay Hon?” asked Felicity, Maria’s boss.

Maria looked up at Felicity and sighed heavily. “Actually no.” she paused. “It’s hard, you know?”

Felicity nodded in agreement “I know. Why don’t you just go home? We’re not that busy anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope this starts to make up for the last chapter :]