Take My Hand

Chapter Four

7th April, 2001

It was a Wednesday. You’d never think something like this would happen in the middle of the week, but it did. See, most things happen on a Friday afternoon at a workplace or school, because then the weekend leaves you time to think and wonder about what’s happened. Not this time. He couldn’t possibly give me thinking time.

Which leaves me sitting here, behind Joe’s diner alone, waiting for J.E. to show up. His name isn’t only the initials. Jake Evans Quinn has been in my life for a while now, but not until recently did I think anything would come from knowing him. And before you ask, he goes by his first and middle initials because he thinks that way, no-one will know who he is on paper. He and I haven’t actually spoken that much in the ten years we’ve known each other. Not surprisingly either, since neither one of us likes talking all that much. Hell, I’m pretty much mute. I do talk something though, but I just don’t see the point anymore. Not because I don’t have anything to say, trust me I have plenty to say to some people. I prefer to listen anyway. Most people think it’s strange… but Jake never did. He’d just ask if I wanted to play Scrabble or something.

This is how we got to writing notes.

It was a lot easier with both of us writing everything out than one of us speaking aloud having a one sided conversation. The thing is, notes are harder to get rid of than sounds in the air. Every note we write is completely confidential and never really has a lot on them. Nothing incriminating, nothing to worry about, right? If there’s something important, we’ll talk.

But one Wednesday, Jake and I decided to plan a little something. We’d agreed that if anyone found out, it was end of operation; act like it was a joke.

We were about half way into our plan, when he writes me this note:
“M.
I’ve found it.
Meet me behind Joe’s at 6am alone.
Don’t tell anyone.
J.E.”


The last line made me laugh a little. “Don’t tell anyone”. Who and why would I tell anyone? What he found though, I don’t know, that’s why I’m here. I also don’t understand why he’s making me wait, at 6am behind this dingy diner. But that’s Jake for you, he’s more than a little off centre. Actually, now that I think of it, I’m pretty damn cold sitting on the ground, waiting for Jake to turn up with my back against the brick wall. I hadn’t thought to grab a jacket on my way out the door. But then again, I didn’t think I’d be sitting here waiting at all.

“Maria. Good, you’re here.” he spoke from the corner from which he appeared.

“Yeah, and you are too finally.” I responded with only a little bit of bitterness. It’s early, I’m cold. Can you really blame me?

“Look, I’m sorry; I’m only late because I thought I’d have to get you up.” He paused, looking at me. “…how long have you been here?”

I look at my watch. It’s 6.10am, I was here at quarter to six but I’m not about to tell him that. “Too long.” There’s a short silence between us.

The morning traffic on can be heard from here, though the road is a good three kilometers away. Some wind rattles some odd pieces of litter on the ground. “So, what did you find?” I ask finally.

“I can’t tell you here, exactly…” he quiets down.

“So then, where exactly can you tell me? Because I’ll be damned if I got up this early for you, on the holidays, in my sleeping in/hibernation time, just for you to not tell me what you’ve found.” This boy is damn lucky I’m curious, otherwise I’d have been gone by now.

“You know, you’re a lot more likable when you don’t talk.” Jake smirks a little. I shoot him a glare that pretty much tells him it’s the wrong time. “Sorry... Look, I know it’s early but it’s worth it.”

“Yeah it better be.” I mumble and get to my feet. Jake takes a step forward to help me up, but I stop him. “It’s okay, I have legs you know.”

Once I’m upright, I follow Jake down the alleyway onto the main road. Let me just explain a little as to where we are. ‘Joes’ is s diner near the river, which has been there since this place was first discovered. Anyway, on one side of the river there’s a park, the diner, and a lot of grass. The other side of the river there’s a highway. Most people complain about the cars being so close to ‘nature’ but what can you do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, two more after this. Really short, I know. xoox