Disturbia

Feels Like I'm Going Insane

Like a disease to the mind, the darkness consumed her, bringing her into a world where nothing was of the ordinary. Standing before her bedroom mirror, she watched as the image of her body juddered, shifting between herself and a figure less familiar to those outside of her mind.

Dangerous red eyes replaced her own hues of blue, adding a shimmer of rage to her usual patient self, the smile, a slit of pure madness. Capable of tormenting with the words it spewed. Its controlling tone all too aware of its power as it brought her to her knees every time it spoke.

Running a hand through her raven black hair, she pushed the mass of wired strands aside, examining the bald patches where paranoia had taken its toll.

“Looking beautiful as always.” Her mouth opened but a voice far from her own came out, a smirk lacing every word. “Missed me?”

Shaking her head frantically, she tried in vain to stand up to the other side of her personality. It was hopeless. She knew all too well that when the other part of her was awake and alive she could do nothing but stand by and let it take over her body, mind and soul; her everything.

“Don’t shake your head beautiful, of course you did,” the voice spoke once again. “I’m like oxygen. You need me to live!” the last of its words somewhat persuasive.

“What do you want?” She asked, still looking deeply at the reflection in the mirror. Her eyes widened as what she saw was no longer herself, but him. The exact image of insanity itself.

“Just thought I’d pay a little visit to my favourite friend,” he continued to smirk, his eyes flashing with manic mischief.

“How many times must I tell you…”

“….You’re not my friend.” He chuckled as he finished her sentence for her. “Oh my darling girl, when will you ever learn?!” He shook his head in a patronizing manner, slowly bringing his hand to straighten out the collar of his crisp white shirt, brushing himself down in preparation.

“Now quit with the protest and come through… We’re waiting.” His hand, calloused from years of torture, slowly reached out to her.

Taking his outstretched hand, Mercy let him take her through to a world she had yet to get used to.

The image of her room fading behind her, she looked around as she now stood in the middle of a path, her hand still in his as he dragged her towards a nearby club.

Looking around, she spotted the familiar road signs that pointed to nowhere, the usual crowds guarding their corners, their territory. Most of them prostitutes, working to earn their rent or whatever they earned their money for. Drugs most likely but the majority of them chose the profession for the pure joy of random men, paying them for pleasure. But in this nameless town pleasure was something completely different to the pleasure known to any average person in any average town.

Her feet slapping against the wet pavement, Mercy groaned as the water splashed up her legs, making her shiver. Another strange thing about the city was that the weather was always cold, normally raining and cloudy, most of the time. It was as if the weather matched the state of the town and with a quick glance, anyone could tell it was not any kind of ordinary town and definitely no town for the innocent.

All movement stopped when the man, still holding her hand, came to a set of double doors painted a bright shade of red. From the moment her eyes fell upon the door, Mercy knew all to well what lay behind it. What other impression was she to get when it was the only set of doors that were painted in the dangerous colour, the rest of the town was laden with dark blues and dull greys.

Looking to the girl behind him, the man grinned wickedly before knocking. It was only a few seconds before the doors opened, slowly revealing what was inside.

Holding her breath, Mercy prepared for the worst, her heart racing at hyper speed not trusting where he had brought her in the slightest.

As the doors were set wide open, she covered her eyes with her free hand quickly in fear of seeing something she didn’t want to see.

“Move you hand away you stupid girl! There is nothing there.” The dark tormentor spat, ripping her hand from her eyes.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she shuddered, his voice making the hairs on her body stand on end.

“How do I know, the last time you said that…”

He sighed, his release of breath making his annoyance with the girl obvious.

“Shut up and do as you are fucking told!”

Hearing the snarl at the end, Mercy knew not to push him further. Reluctantly, she began to open her eyes, her chest heaving from the deep breaths she was taking. Bracing herself, she finally opened them fully, her pupils darting from left to right as if to search for something ready to come out at her.

A sigh of relief fell from her rose petal lips as her gaze was met with a simple corridor, portraits lining each wall.

“See, there was nothing to be scared of, now come. You’ve wasted enough time already!” her tormentor stated, dragging her into the building.

Her body calm once again, she followed behind him as he led her down the hall. Still, despite everything seeming normal, she kept a lookout just in case. Whilst they walked, Mercy observed the pictures on the wall. Each image was slightly faded probably from the years they had been hanging there. As she passed what felt like the hundredth picture since stepping into the place, a specific one caught her eye.

Looking to the man before her, she thought he wouldn’t mind if she stopped for a moment. Taking a step back, she scrutinized the picture further, staring upon the figure within it.

Sat in a cat-like position, the woman held a look of dominance as she held a man captive below her, her body writhing above him like the very animal she took to pose as.

The man, however, looked stone cold, his eyes pure white. It was as if his eyes had rolled into the back of his head.

Shivering, Mercy felt the air become cooler around her. Suddenly a piercing pain ran through her head, making her hold her fingers to her temples, groaning as she tried to stop the pain. Before she knew it, her surroundings faded to black as she succumbed to the darkness, her body falling into the arms of her tormentor.

His arm under the bend in her legs and one around her shoulders, he shook his head as he continued his walk down the corridor with the girl in his arms.

“I told you not to waste my time. Maybe next time you will listen.” He muttered to himself, disappearing behind an open door to the left of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. This is a short piece written for my 'English Language; Writing to Entertain' coursework and was told by my teacher to post it here, to see what feedback I would get.

So please, it would be highly appreciated if you gave your honest opinion.

In your comment, please include;

- something you liked.
- something you didn't like.
- why?
- overall opinion.
- What could be changed.

(This is also a clip of what was a longer story, please do take this into account :])

Thank You.
Raven
x x x