The Jetset Life Is Going To Kill You

Aftermath

Lillian slowly opened her eyes. She was feeling very light headed and her vision was blurred. What was going on? Why did her t-shirt feel sticky? Why did she feel this over-whelming feeling that she was going to throw up? Once her eye sight returned to normal, everything came flooding back to her. Blood. That’s why her t-shirt was sticky. Lillian hated blood and gore; that would explain why she was feeling sick.

Screams and shrieks brought Lillian back to reality; some one seemed to be talking amidst the chaos…

“Alaura, no, look it’s fine! See, Lillian’s eyes are opened and focused! She’s okay!” Brooke was desperately trying to distract her best friend, and she wasn’t sure if it was working. Alaura’s once blonde curls now had prominent red streaks running through them, and she was screaming in agony. But she wasn’t the only one; Lottie sat in the passenger crying with a mixture of grief and pain. Brooke felt that she was the only one who really understood what was going on. Alaura and Lottie were totally disorientated from their injuries, and Lillian’s injuries didn’t look as threatening, but she was still very dazed and confused looking.

“-et out?”

“Sorry what?” Brooke didn’t even notice that Lillian was speaking to her and only caught the end of the sentence. And sometimes she just couldn’t understand Lillian’s accent.

“I said,” Lillian wheezed, “Can’t we get out?”

Brooke stared at her in disbelief. “Do you seriously think that if I could get out, I’d still be sitting here?”

“No,” Lillian sighed, “guess not.” Both girls were silent for a few minutes before Brooke spoke again.

“Lillian, you’re going to have to do something for me… and I need you to be very calm about it…” Lillian felt a little frightened at these words.

“What is it?” Lillian inquired.

“Okay, first of all, do you think you can reach Camille’s hand?” Lillian only realised within that moment that she only had one free arm, but decided not to mention it. She slowly leaned forward and held out her right hand, and easily reached Camille’s hand, which was hanging loosely at Camille’s side.

“Okay I have her hand… err what do you want me to do?” Lillian asked as she tightly gripped Camille’s hand. Brooke answered reluctantly.

“Check for a pulse.”

Lillian slowly turned toward Brooke. “You don’t think…” The realisation hitting her, Lillian grabbed Camille’s wrist. Now looking at it, Camille’s dark skin now seemed unnaturally pale. Lillian began panicking and hysterically searching for any form of life.

“I… I can’t f-find it!” Lillian sobbed as she tried looking for a pulse for the millionth time. Brooke choked a sob and gently grabbed hold of Lillian’s wrist.

“Lillian… stop. There’s nothing you can do…”

Brooke didn’t know how long they sat in silence, but it felt like an eternity. Both Alaura and Lottie whimpered in pain, but Lillian and Brooke remained mute.

“Do you think someone will find us?” Lillian asked, and although she was staring into space, Brooke knew this question was directed at her.

“Why wouldn’t they?” Brooke shot back.

Lillian continued staring into space as she spoke again, in a dull tone. “The car tumbled down a hill off a small narrow road. How many people do you think use that road?” Brooke could not think of any response to this. “So in short, we’re doomed.”