Status: Complete.

Memoirs of a Gay Guy : Till September

Entry : 12

I was talking to Judy about coming out today. The whole concept is a little daunting. It's one of those, "Let's not and say we did", situations.I told her how scared I was and she told me all about how Jeremy came out. Actually, she didn't say his name, she said, "my other gay student," implying that there was only one. So I knew it had to be Jeremy.

She told me that he told GSA, at a meeting, first and they were all behind him. He told them he didn't mind if they told their friends because he wanted people to know. Having the support of GSA helped him to be more confident about coming out. And it especially helped when he started getting bullied.

Apparently, one day last year, a guy in grade twelve saw Jeremy with his boyfriend, who went to another school, and he felt he had to do something about it. The next day, the guy; the bully, cornered Jeremy in a hallway between classes and started a fight with him. Now, Jeremy's not a small guy so he held his own for a few good hits until a couple guys from GSA walked by and broke it up. Then the principal got involved and expelled the bully for discriminatory violence. He transferred schools and moved to Boston after he graduated, so I know I don't have to be afraid of him.

But the reason Judy told me all this was to warn me about discrimination. She told me that if I want to come out, she'll support me, but she won't be able to control the inevitable prejudice that I'd be sure to receive. She says that the school doesn't tolerate
discrimination but they can't always catch everyone. It's especially hard when it's only verbal abuse.

I can't control the way people think or the way they may react, but I think I can handle it. I'm just concerned that it may get violent. I've never been in a fight before and the only person I've ever been punched by was Tommy, and that didn't hurt because he was only 3 at the time. But I know that I want to come out soon, and I told Judy so. I also asked her how people become homophobic; I just don't understand it. I don't understand why or how people think they need to be afraid of gays.

She told me, "I know it's not right and it's not fair, but that's just the way that some people think."
♠ ♠ ♠
o.o
I didn't realize how short this was until I typed it up.
But it's longer than entry 8 right?
Oh well, if it's not enough for you then you can go and read this poem : Love Without Boundaries
It was written by my friend and half inspired by my story.
Enjoy! =)