Status: Complete.

Memoirs of a Gay Guy : Till September

Entry : 38

Today was the first time since I started this journal that Judy asked to read something from it. Seeing as she was the one who gave it to me in the first place and encouraged me to write in it, I let her. She only read one or two entries and it wasn't anything I hadn't already told her so she seemed satisfied that I was really keeping up with writing in it.

Then we talked for a little while about my family and I and my March Break. When she brought up GSA and asked me how that was going I told her that we haven't really done too much since the Coming Out Party. Every week Mr. Munroe tells us to brainstorm ideas for awareness or things like that but no one's really had any god ideas in a while. Except yesterday someone told an interesting story. He sad that his history class had gone on a field trip to Parliament Hill and there was a guy there standing beside a sign that read: "The only gay marriage is between a man and a woman." The guy who told the story isn't gay but being a member of GSA and a supporter of gay rights, he was still really upset by the sign. The worst part is, there wasn't anything he could do about it because it was, in essence, a peaceful protest.

This story got Mr. Munroe thinking and he suggested that we do something along the same line as a peaceful protest. But not exactly a protest, just something to tell people that discrimination against gays is a thing of the past. Fin, who has been coming to GSA ever since the end of rugby season, suggested we create posters and merchandise with a logo or slogan that promotes equality and unity.

Mr. Munroe loved her idea and for the rest of the meeting everyone got into little groups to brainstorm ideas. So Riley, Fin, Jeremy and I got into a group and started talking about anything we could think of. After about twenty minutes of this Mr. Munroe asked that each group share one or two ideas that we came up with. The other groups mostly had ideas like rainbow bracelets or rainbow t-shirts or just...anything with a rainbow. While I nor anyone else was against the rainbow ideas, we felt that it had already been thought of and used a lot and that we wanted to do something truly new and different.

When it came to our group, we all looked at each other silently, because really, we hadn't come up with any strong ideas. Well, we know basically what we wanted the project to say, but we couldn't figure out the best way to say it. For the whole twenty minutes we had been talking about how we could have a play on the word 'gay' or how we could have a slogan that includes everybody, something universal.

But just as I was about to tell Mr. Munroe that we didn't have anything, Riley jumped up, drew a smiling globe on the chalkboard and wrote around it, "All the world is gay."

Mr. Munroe applauded him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yays for quick thinking! What do you all think of Riley's idea? I actually made it up, but I'm giving him credit. Also, I'm sorry for the lame shortness of this entry. 39 coming soon!