Dreaming of Dreamland

And away we go...!

The train was full when my mother pushed me on board. I looked around at the strange faces that neighbored me. A young woman hushed an infant in a seat adjacent to a smiling elderly couple, whose warm cuddle proved time had not withered their love as it did their faces. Many young men towered over me, clinging to the metal handrail as they braced for the train’s impending lurch forward. A gentleman in grey slacks and a bowler in his lap smiled warmly at me, offering his seat.

“Here lil miss, take mines, why don’t ya?” He winked boyishly at my mother. She beamed, and guided me to the seat, handing me her purse so she, too, could grasp the handrail. I looked up at my mother. She was young and beautiful, with her golden hair recently bobbed and neatly tucked under her best wide-brimmed feather hat. I envied my mother’s high-waisted gown as it draped naturally around her ankles, as if she were built solely to wear such fashion. My own pink ruffled party dress made me feel insecure next to her obvious womanly elegance, although I needn’t feel so ashamed, as I was only 6 years old. However, as any young girl, I yearned to be just like mommy, and I imagined myself twirling angelically in a magical ballroom with a man just like my daddy in her beautiful gown. I peering longingly at her glossy high heeled shoes, wishing my own polished flats made the same ‘click click’ as I walked with her confidence. I loved Mommy and one day I would be just like her.

The train ride was not longer than thirty minutes, although as a young child in a fever of excitement, I could imagine each minute was an hour. My mother looked warmly down at me, sensing my anticipation. “Don’t worry sweetheart,” she cooed softly to me, “We’ll be in Coney very soon. Be still now…stop kicking those feet!” Although she lightly scolded me, her tone was happy, and all too knowing that my feet could not stop kicking until we reached our destination and I could know for sure we were really there. There, of course, being Coney Island; a place of wonder, of magic, and of dreams comes true.

Peering out of the window of the train I could see the outline of Luna Park ahead, with the Dreamland Tower and the Steeplechase Tower to the far left and right of it. I held my breath and grinned wildly at my mother. She patted my hair and warned softly, “Now don’t go running off, Suzy. Stay with me and hold Mommy’s hand; don’t let go.” I nodded in acknowledgement, and as the train doors opened I clasped my mother’s hand tightly and anxiously tugged her forward. She laughed lightly and allowed herself to be dragged by her impatient little girl.

My first step onto the street was like a slap in the face; music, color, scent, and hundreds of people overwhelmed all of my young senses. Startled, I stepped behind my mother, who was obviously amused by my bewilderment. “Come along, Suzy” she purred comfortingly, “Don’t be afraid now. Just follow me. Stay close to Mommy.”

And follow I did; wide-eyed and consumed with curiosity like I’d never felt before. The smell of exotic foods wafted through the air, making my mouth salivate as I stared hungrily at the food vendors shouting convincing promises that their food was the best on Surf Avenue. I gazed in amazement at the outlandishly dressed barkers dragging in crowds as they exhibited human oddities the likes of which I could have never even dreamed. I watched in awe as a street magician pulled a dozen red roses from under a blushing girl’s skirt while the man beside her glared unapprovingly.

Very soon we reached the entrance to Dreamland off Surf Avenue. A giant stone angel stood in the center, its outstretched wings creating a beautiful arched passageway into the park. Walking through, I held my mothers hand tighter as the street scene melted away and I entered a dark tunnel with strange images and statues along the walls.

“This attraction is called ‘Creation’,” My mother explained to me, noticing my apprehension. “See, as we walk we are going through the passage of Genesis in the Bible. You remember Geneses from school, don’t you?”

I nodded, the pictures now vaguely familiar. “Can you show me which picture is the story of Adam and Eve?” I looked around for a moment, analyzing the faces of each portrait on the walls, so intricately detailed and perfected. I pointed at one depicting a half naked man and woman under a glowing fruit tree.

“Yes!” She exclaimed in approval, “And how about Noah’s Ark?”

I easily found the painting of a large wooden ship with various animal heads poking curiously out of the windows. My mothers exaggerated commendations made my self-esteem swell. By the time we were out of the Creation Tunnel, I was again leading the way.

I squinted as I stepped back into sunlight and Dreamland opened around me like a fantastic new world. Directly ahead of me was an infinitely tall tower, sculpted to perfection as if it were the very tower of Heaven. I tried to find the very top, but the suns glare would not let me, so I shifted my gaze to the wonders around me. Hundreds of people swarmed and danced around the park in their own enchanted trance; women squealed with delight as the men they were with chased them playfully off one ride and onto the next. Each ride and attraction adorned with thousands of flickering electric lights that beckoned any adventure seeker to step right up if they dared. The strains of “Some of These Days” by Shelton Brooks cut clear across the park as people clapped and cheered in the food court under the Dreamland Tower, singing along to the upbeat music as an animated, slightly crazed man hammered the tune out on a baby grand piano nearby.

I began to tap my feet to the music and my mother laughed and twirled me as I danced, the people walking around us smiled at the admirable scene of a mother and a daughter playing together. I suddenly felt happy my mother dressed me in my pink party dress today; the lace and ruffle hem twirled around me, making me feel like a princess. I couldn’t help but blush at every ‘Awwww’ I received from a passing couple. My mother’s face exuded pride. She sighed, and said softly “I wish your father was here to see how pretty you are.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you are intruiged...let's go to the second part!