Status: will be continued soon + throughout the summer.

Not a Barbie Doll

Chapter Three

"Ow, ow, fuck me ow!" I complained loudly as Frankie gripped a long lock of my hair. He giggled and pulled another chunk, before taking both strands and putting them together with a clip. It was employee photo day, Bob's idea, obviously. He always felt the need to be professional. I'd played a rather rude prank on Frank not long before that, and agreed to let him torture my hair.

Frank had on a ridiculous silk black shirt and tie. His dark brown hair was combed back and gelled into place. I laughed at him, which caused him to throw a dime at me, which caused me to tackle him. Over the past few weeks I'd become pretty good friends with Frankie. We hung out a lot, ate together on breaks and other stuff.

That night there was going to be a masquerade type ball at the store, to celebrate it's fifth year or something. Bob told me if I didn't come he was going to cut my lunch break. I knew he wouldn't really, but I decided to humor good ol Bob. I'd even gotten a dress and made a ridiculous mask out of a paper plate.

While Frank hair sprayed and brushed my hair to death, my mind drifted over to the strange man with the black hair. He'd come into the store at least once a week for the past month or so. He always bought a CD, which was weird. Frank kept joking to me that he had some kind of 'infatuation' with me. It was odd to think about, but he always went to my register, never Frankie's.

Upon thinking of that subject my mind drifted over to something hilarious Frank had done. He'd told me to go hide in Bob's office when the man came in, so that he'd be forced to come to his register. I'd just laughed and did as I was told. The next thing I knew the door swung open and Big B was screamin' at the top of his lungs to 'Get the fuck out of his office!'. When Bob and I walked back out, Frank was doubled over in laughter, and the man was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey!" Frankie demanded, yanking my hair. I yelped and turned to bite him. He screamed girlishly and yanked my hair again. I hissed and looked at us in the mirror in front of us. I looked at the idiotic black blouse I was wearing. What was the point? I asked myself. I suddenly pushed Frank away and ripped the clip out of my hair. I shook my head around and took of the blouse, leaving me in a white tank top. I was freezing, of course, but why pretend to me all fancy shmancy?

Frank and I walked out into the main room of the music store. Bob's friend Ray was taking our pictures. He did every year, although most of the time it was just me. I'd been working at the music store since it opened. I stared at Ray's puffy afro and grinned.

"Hey Kira." He said, pressing some buttons on his big camera. I waved and sat on the register with Frank in tow.

"Frank, you're up." Ray said. Frankie grinned and walked in front of the back drop. Then, he grinned the biggest grin eyed every seen. It very literally stretched from one ear to the other. I clapped. He smiled at me.

“Kira!” Ray demanded. I walked in front of the lens. I stood, not moving. “Kira?” He said. I stuck both hands out in front of me, and then, very deliberately, flipped both of my middle fingers up. Ray just chuckled and snapped the picture. Frank laughed, jumping in front of the lens again. We both began to strike dorky poses. He jumped on me and wrapped his arms around my neck like a backwards newly wed couple. I laughed and dropped him, Ray snapping pictures all the while.

Bob walked out of his office in some monkey suit. Frank and I laughed at him as he stepped in front of the lens. I jumped on Bob’s back and gripped onto his tie. It came right off, and I realized it was a clip-on. I dropped my jaw in mock-shock and clipped it to the front of my shirt. Bob glared up at me, so I slipped up onto his shoulders. Ray began taking pictures, laughing all the while. I tickled Bob’s forehead with the borrowed tie.

Bob started running in circles, trying to get me to fall off. I screeched and went tumbling, landing on top of Frankie.

“Ow! Geez, lard ass! Get off!” He said, laughing. I knew he was joking, and it surprised even myself when it sent a lurch in my heart and stopped my breathing. I quickly climbed off of him, unclipping the tie and dropping it to the floor. I walked into the back room, picking my fancy shirt back up and putting it on. I grabbed my coat and put it on, and adjusted my scarf around my neck. I pulled my hair up into a pony tail and grabbed my bag. I walked back into the front room. Bob stared at me. He of course knew what was wrong, but didn’t really know how to react. I didn’t dare look at Frank.

“I’ll uh… be back later to help to guys decorate.” I said, before hurrying out the door. I brushed away the few tears that had fallen and forced back the rest. I headed to my truck and got in. I drove back to the apartment, ignoring the buzzing memories forcing there way back into my current thoughts. I parked the truck and hurriedly ran into the lobby.

“Hey Kira!” Mikey said cheerfully. I looked up at him, then cast my eyes right back down. I got in the elevator and pressed the button for my floor. I opened the door to my apartment and tried to run up the stairs.

“Kira?” I heard Ely say. I walked quickly away as she came walking around the corner. “Kira, what are you doing home?” she asked. I wiped my eyes and pulled away from her.

“Are you crying?” She asked me. I didn’t answer. She wrapped her arms around my middle and held me. Ely really was like my mom. I leaned my head on her shoulder and let myself cry. I felt so stupid. It was nothing worth crying over. She took my bag and jacket and set it on the table. She sat me down on the couch, and held my hand. “Tell me all about it.”

I told her the entire story, as I often do. She nodded and squeezed my hand whenever I said anything that looked as though it were painful to talk about. I explained the bit about falling, wincing inwardly. She grimaced as I did. “What a stupid boy.” She’d said. I laughed.

“He didn’t know. Frankie’s a good guy, you’ll meet him tonight at the party.” I told her.

“Ya sure you wanna go?” She asked me.

“Yeah, yeah. Not a big deal. I have to go help decorate in about a half hour.” I said.

“Okay honey.” She said, squeezing my hand one for time. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me. I’m preparing the appetizers for Big B.” She said.

I grinned cheekily. "Big B?” I emphasized.

“Look, Kira, when Bob and I broke up, we agreed not to let things get awkward. Especially with you working at his store.”

“Mhmm.” I hummed in the back of my throat.

“Now, go wash your face and head out, you’ve got a big night ahead of you.” She said, pushing me lightly.

“Sure, sure.” I said, heading up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, so, so, so sorry for the lack of updates. But you can expect tons soon.

Thank ya for stickin' with me.