Homophobia's Storm

Homophobia's Storm

Homophobia’s Storm

Alexander Algeron was gay. There was no point in denying it. Having just graduated high school, he felt confident in his future. He also felt relieved that there was no more obnoxious teenagers to laugh and snicker at him as he passed. No, he was going to make something of himself. He was going to pursue his life-long dream of joining the army.
Now, Xander (as he was affectionately known as by his friends and family) wasn’t your typical 18-year old. He had long, jet black hair, with straightened bangs that were combed off to the side while the rest curled up in the back. He wore tight pants and chains and Converse. He also wore eyeliner. Now, from his appearance and sexuality, one might think he was weak. On the contrary, he happened to win every fight he had gotten into and wasn’t scared to bear arms. He was ready for anything.
Having sent in his application for boot camp four years ago, he had completed all training (and had been able to graduate high school, which was quite an achievement). He was all ready for war and couldn’t wait to be assigned. There was one small problem: The military didn’t know he was gay. At that time, homosexuality was prohibited in the army. So he had been lying to them for four years.
A rather large envelope came for him one sunny morning. It was from the United States Army. He was assigned to Kuwait! He was going to fight in the army! He was supposed to report for duty tomorrow morning at nine-thirty AM in Washington, D.C. (Thankfully, that was only about a two-hour car ride away).
His hand shook a little as he and the other cadets saluted their lieutenant. They boarded the jet to Kuwait. It was going to be a very long flight, and Xander was nervous.
The bunks were a bit on the small side and the sheets smelled. They arrived at their camp at four-thirty PM. Xander shared a bunk with Erik Lausen, a big, beefy Italian guy with long hairy arms and about six chins. Erik laughed as he set his beady eyes on Xander. “Heh, look at this. You sure you’re in the right place, princess?” Xander gulped and said defensively “Yeah, but I’m not too sure about you. Guessing all the pizzerias in the country were full?” Erik roared. “Heh,” he said to the other guys, “The little fa**ot thinks he’s tough.” He gave Xander a slap on the back, sending him flying into the bunk beside them. That only made Erik laugh harder. Swearing under his breath as he got to his feet, Xander vowed to get even with this idiot.
The next morning, to Xander’s disgust, everyone got their head shaved. As he was sweeping up hair from the bathroom floor, someone bumped into him. Xander lifted his head to apologize and met eyes with a really cute guy. “Oh, I’m sorry.” the guy said. He had a high-pitched voice (which Xander found all-the-more attractive) and couldn’t possibly be older than nineteen. “No” Xander said softly, then he said in a more manly voice “It was my fault, I should have been looking where I was going.” The boy smiled at him. Looking down, Xander felt his ears burn bright red.
His name was Ray Tauren, and Xander was completely infatuated with him. Over the next week, the two became close friends. The night before they were scheduled to go into battle, Xander told Ray of his sexuality. Ray just grinned and said “Don’t tell anyone, but so am I.” Xander grinned back. They were all alone, and Ray leaned in closer to him. Xander moved closer and their lips touched. It was incredible, having been his first kiss with another boy. There was only one problem: Erik, suspecting something, had spied on the whole conversation and had almost puked. It wasn’t right, it wasn’t natural, and it angered him. It pissed him off so much that he devised the perfect way to dispose of them both.
The boys were awoken at the crack of dawn. Shots were already heard being fired. Erik had stayed up all night mapping out his perfect plot. Him and his mates had planted a small bomb in Xander’s station. Once Xander came within ten inches of it, it would explode.
Their plan had worked accordingly so far. Having payed the lieutenant, Xander was assigned to the rigged station. Coincidently, Ray’s was right next to his. As they were marching down to the battlefield, Ray nudged Xander and said “Hey, can I check out your station before mine?” Xander had happily agreed. On ten, the soldiers ran to their stations. Ray ran ahead of Xander to the station. As Ray’s foot stepped on the platform, the bomb set off. Ray was blasted into the air. Xander cried out and ran to help him. But a grenade caught him in the chest before he could make it to Ray. That grenade wasn’t from the Iraqis though. It was from Erik.
Ray miraculously survived. They rushed him to the nurses in time. His entire right leg, from the knee down, was gone. Also, a metal plate had to be inserted into his head because the bomb had destroyed some of his skull. Xander never made it past the battlefield. A fellow cadet had seen Erik throw the grenade and informed the lieutenant. Erik later confessed to planting the bomb into Xander’s station. He was sentenced to life in prison.
The story was leaked to the press, and in a matter of weeks, everyone in the world knew the entire story. The tale had reached the White House and Congress demanded that the laws be changed. President Clinton had no choice but to pass a new law. A law that permitted all gays, lesbians, and bi’s to be allowed into the Army, Navy, and Air Force. They were to be treated with the same respect as a heterosexual would.
Xander’s story was never forgotten. Every now and then, a brave teacher came along and taught it with absolutely no pressure. Some people never want to hear it again, out of hatred and disgust. Some never tire of hearing it. There will always be homophobia, but there also will always be those brave souls who are willing to do anything and everything they can to stop it.

THE END

*This story was written in honour of my favourite gay couple, Ray and Xander. I love you guys.*