What The Devil Doesn't Know

3

As soon as I got in the car (I knew it was the right one. They had told me what to look for. Black. Small. God Kills sticker.) I realized I had a driver. This was nice. He drove me not all that far to some half-suburban half-city neighborhood. The house was nice. Two stories but still pretty small, with red brick and a gate in front. I was greeted at the door by my grandfather's wife. (Not my grandmother. My biological grandmother must have had an affair somewhere along the way.)

"Hello Kendall! We were getting worried you might not come!" She smiled, and ushered me through the door. "Please! Please come in! It's so nice to have you here! I'm Nora, John's wife. You must be dying to meet him."

Actually, I was. I hadn't really thought about anything but how angry I was that I'd miss my summer at home, tanning and doing nothing with my friends. But now it hit me, he was a fucking legend, and he was my grandfather. I would have been excited to meet either.
Nora walked me through a narrow hallway to a huge room at the center of the house.

"I don't know if anyone told you. This is where we're having your 'Welcome to London!' party." No one had told me anything about a party. "John should be in here..." she opened a door on the other side of the room, and there he was. It was a sort of home recording studio. "I'll leave you two alone." She shut the door and for a second I was scared. As you can imagine it would be intimidating being alone in a room with Johnny Rotten.

"Um, hi? I'm your long lost granddaughter I guess."

He turned around. Apparently he hadn't heard me come in.

"Jesus. You look just like your grandmother." he said, surprised.
Luckily, I thought.
"Well," he began "I don't know you. hopefully I'll get to. But for now just do what you please. This is where you're living for the next three months. Enjoy it." He turned back to whatever it was he had been doing.
I walked out the door. surprised he hadn't said more.
"Don't worry." Nora said, putting an arm around me. I was more uncomfortable than before. "He's like that to everyone at first. Let me show you your room." She led me to the guest room upstairs. It was smallish, with red walls, black curtains, and posters everywhere. Nice.
"Get some sleep." she urged "You have to be at a party tomorrow."
She smiled and left me alone.