The Boarding House

Waking Up

I heard someone speak softly and then the delicious scent of something enticed my senses just before the light touch brought me to the real world. I saw Rorinn looking down at me, his voice and touch was gentle but his eyes were framed with determination even though their centre was as soft as caramel. His words registered slowly in my mind and I shook my head slowly, I don’t think it barely moved at all but I saw his jaw set and his shoulders sag slightly.

“Lady Skalett, you cannot let yourself waste away. It’s already been six days, we agreed with your brother to look after you while you were here, and we don’t go back on our promises.” Rorinn spoke clearly with strong conviction. I felt the mattress move as he stood up and I was glad, he would go and I could sleep. I could still smell that delicious odour and then there was an odd cold sensation on my side…as if someone had pulled the covers back slightly. My eyes opened reluctantly to see Rorinn’s body looming closer and closer. I started and froze as an arm wrapped around my shoulder, I could hear Rorinn speaking softly as he lifted me and propped my shoulders against the headboard, placing a crystal clear tray over my legs.

“Lady Skalett, you must eat something, we will not let you fall ill in our care through malnutrition. Whatever you decide to do in this room is your choice, but please don’t let your life go down the drain. You’re far too precious for us to lose.” He said softly pulling back, fixing me with a steady look as he lifted the blue and crystal goblet. It was only when he held it closer to my lips that I recognised the rare liquid. It called to me; it wanted to be consumed, by me and only me.

Rorinn placed the cool crystal to my lips and tipped the glass slightly, I drank slowly, savouring the rare drink. It was only the third time in my life that I had even seen it, the juice of the Blue Moon flower.

The blue substance held the promise of rare twilight hours, the hour any type of magic was created. Few people knew how to recognise the power of the twilight time, those who did often missed the rare time. While it was named the twilight hour it lasted for only a few scant seconds that you must become trapped in to create your magic. For the few that found the twilight hour, very few people managed to come back to the world of real time.

The thick blue syrup was tantalisingly sweet, soothing my raw throat as soon as the first trickle fell from my tongue. It almost made me want to chug the rest of the drink. I felt a soft finger on my wrist and opened my eyes to see Rorinn smiling at me. I lowered the glass and smiled back knowing what he meant. My smile erupted into a chuckle and he laughed back. Soon we were both laughing and while the sound seemed strange and unfamiliar to my ears it was comforting and kept the dark shadow of grief far away.

I ate the rest of the food with Rorinn next to me; he talked as I ate and listened. He told me a lot of things about the boarding house, who was staying here now, who had been here if they were important and some who had just been ridiculously funny. I wanted to laugh with him but something seemed to block the expression of joy. Rorinn didn’t seem to mind and simply kept on speaking, vividly telling all his stories with an enthusiasm to rival any court or travelling bard. All too soon, the young boy was laughing at me. I frowned as my hand met the coolness of the plate and glancing down I realised that I had actually finished every single morsel of food that had been on the tray. My eyes widened…but I was still hungry, how on earth could I still be hungry after eating all that food?

“You have been asleep for six days milady, your body isn’t used to such periods of time without nourishment.” Rorinn said gently. I met his gaze and understood what he really meant. I had let myself go and now I had to survive without my brother no matter how hard the task appeared.

I just didn’t know if I could put those words into action.