Downfall of Arms and All Things Beautiful

Chapter 1

Leigh

I clutched the letter to my heart and sobbed. Peter, my Peter was coming home! Through this bloody war, he had survived, while many others had died. How my heart went out to those solders and their families.

I gazed out of my foggy window. The rain pelted hard on the glass, making the glass rattle noisily.
“Leigh…” A small voice said. My door creaked open. There stood Troy, my little brother. “Why you crying?”
“Oh Troy!” I exclaimed, sweeping him up into my arms. I held out Peter’s letter for him to see, “Do you remember Peter?”
Troy nodded, his silky brown, shoulder-length hair bobbing up and down.
“Well, remember when he went away?”
Again Troy nodded, his eyes growing large.
“This is a letter from him. He’s coming back soon! Won’t you like that?”
Troy squirmed in my arms. I put him down slowly, kissing the top of his head. I turned towards the window again, brushing away my tears.
“Leigh…?”
“Yes?” I put the letter under my pillow and directed him out of my room.
“Where’s mummy?” He looked up at me with his big, green eyes. His child innocence was shining brightly as he blinked.
“I – I don’t know. Come on, let’s go find her.”