Downfall of Arms and All Things Beautiful

Chapter 6

Peter

Dear Mum, Dad and Tessa,

I am terribly sorry that I ran away from you. I guess I was unhappy. I mean, who wouldn’t be if their best friend committed suicide? I needed to get away. I needed something to take my mind off Jeremy. I know it wasn’t just his fault, but sometimes life pushes you forward, sometimes too far, until it forces you off the edge.
I know my 16th birthday is coming up on the 19th and I really hate myself for not being there to celebrate it with you, but I promise to make it all up to you all, especially little Tessa.
Please tell Tessa that I have gone on holidays somewhere so she doesn’t worry. I’m afraid that soon she’ll be able to figure out what’s going on, and won’t stop crying for… ages. She’s incredibly bright for a 6 year old and I am very proud to be her older brother.
I will take care of myself and I will return to you as soon as possible. I promise that. But just in case I do not return, then I want you all to know that I love you, and that I never intended to hurt you or your feelings in any way.
Do not mourn for me if I die, after all, it is war, and I would have died for my country, for you, for all the people I love.
Please, also tell Lily that I love her, and I can’t wait to see her again, even if it means I have to swim back to her.
Until next time I see you, goodbye.
Love,
Christopher

I tucked the letter into my pocket and began to fill up the grave again.
So that’s why he was so secretive about his own life. I then realised, Chris was only sixteen! The 19th was only last week and he never even told me that it was his birthday!
I began to fill the hole up faster, leaving his limp head to cover up last. When finally, I was done, I wandered out of the cave and found some driftwood. I picked it up and stared blankly at it. It would make a good tombstone. I walked back into the cave, practically dragging my feet, and placed the driftwood onto the ground. I kneeled down, pulled out my penknife and began writing Chris’ name and the date he died on it. When I was done, I stained the letters with my blood, and stuck it upright in the sand at the end of the grave.
I fell into a heap next to the mound of newly dug sand and fell into a troubled sleep.