That's A Lie

Just A Photo

Of course, for Mikey, just saying it out loud won’t help. It also didn’t help that Emira and him got into a fight and she left him for Frank; metaphorically, that is. Nor was the fact he had no idea of Gerard’s feelings for him. It didn’t help that Donald was never at home and Donna will never leave him alone. She sort of dropped the incest conspiracy, but kept bugging the fifteen year old boy to study harder. He wanted to talk to Gerard. It was important he spoke to his brother.

Mikey dumped his bag onto his bed and quickly made his way to his brother’s room door. That Friday, he had rushed home as early as possible after realizing that Gerard skipped school. Ignoring the death glares he received from Emira whom he passed, along with Frank, he jogged all the way home. Donna was off somewhere and Donald was too goddamn busy at work.

“ Gerard. Open up. You missed school today,” he waited for a bit. There was no answer.

“ Gee, I know you’re in there. Open up!” He didn’t. Mikey was getting annoyed at this prick of a brother. He sulked outside the door for a few seconds before foolishly remembering that Gerard wouldn’t know he was still there if he stayed silent. He rattled the doorknob once, twice and it opened. How he loved coincidences.

Inside, he realized many things all at once. First up, the room was empty which leads him to his second comprehension; Gerard was definitely not in there. That of course meant he had been screaming to nothingness. Unless you counted the wooden door.

The room was big. Not huge but just big. The walls were painted a navy blue with black borders. There was a bed with, surprisingly, white covers. His desk was off to the side where a lamp stood to help him with his drawing.

Mikey wandered around in circles just staring at the room. Every single time he sees Gerard’s bedroom, he’s in awe. Mikey sat down on his brother’s bed after a spell an so began his waiting. Legs kicking back and forth, it came into contact with something hard from under the bed.

Bending down to take a look, Mikey only saw a toolbox he remembered Donald got Gerard. Just as he was to stand up, a plastic folder caught his eye. He hesitated in picking it up. Gerard never allows him to view his sketches but why would this one be hidden under the bed?

Sliding it from under the bed, Mikey started to take them out. The first sketch wowed him. There he was, almost photographic, lying on the couch asleep. Mikey was stunned. He started rifling through the many pages; stopping once in a while to gaze at it admiringly. Suddenly he chanced upon the picture of him, slumped on the floor.

Shock was such a flimsy word to describe his feelings. He was confused. What did this drawings mean? Did Gerard like him more than a brother should or did he just need a subject? If so, why hide it? He was so absorbed in his thinking that he almost didn’t hear the door open. But he did, after a fashion. Panicking, he stuffed the drawings back, not really caring if its in order. Just as he managed to stuff it all under the bed, Gerard came storming into the room, stopping short when he saw Mikey.

“ Gerard, I… I wanted to talk to you,” Gerard stayed silent. His eyes scanned his room, wanting to see if anything was out of order. There were many. Most noticeable was of course, his bedspread. Instantly, he knew Mikey knew.

Walking as far away from his brother as possible, Gerard placed his back pack on the floor but didn’t turn to face Mikey.

“ Michael, please leave me alone,” Gerard was being serious.

“ Gerard, we need to talk.” Stated the younger man.

“ Mikey not now. Just leave me alone!”

“ But…”

“ I said leave!” roared the older of the brothers before bodily forcing his young brother out. Alone at last, Gerard breathed heavily before extracting the folder from its hiding place. He needed to keep it safer.

Dinner was silent as usual. Gerard couldn’t bear look at his brother. He felt guilty for being so harsh. Mikey was hurt.

“ Gerard, are you asleep?” questioned Mikey from through the door, late that night. In a flash, the door opened a crack to reveal Gerard, wide awake..

Without saying a word, he opened the door wider to let his brother in. The silence could not be broken even with a chopping knife. Both sat primly, side by side, on the bed. No one spoke. The sound of police sirens chasing some juvenile delinquents could be heard.

Suddenly, Gerard gasped. Mikey had pressed his lips onto his brother, without thinking of the consequences. Without caring. Within a matter of seconds, Gerard pulled away although he didn’t want to.

“ Mikey we can’t do this. Its not…” it killed for him to say this but Gerard knew he had to. “right.” Mikey was silent for a while.

“ We’re already accused. Why not be guilty of it?” That sentence, so pure and true, made him love Mikey more than he could ever love anyone. All he could do was give a nod and kiss in return.

That day, Gerard came back to life.